Refine Search Clear All
Biomedical Scientist - Virologist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Biomedical Scientist with experience in virology, immunology, molecular pharmacology, and molecular and cell-based assay development. You will lead and apply our efforts to advance in vitro- and cell-based methods for ensuring the safety and efficacy of therapeutics and vaccines. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division within the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Lead and develop research activities to expand work in applying cellular and biochemical assays to validate the efficacy of therapeutics for chem-bio security applications.
- Design cell-based and in vitro assays that support drug design and development
- Lead and contribute to the development of integrated research programs to meet sponsor needs in multiple national security focus areas. Interact with senior staff and management to influence programmatic decisions.
- Prepare highly complex and detailed monthly progress reports to support project needs and deadlines.
- Prepare complex written analyses and verbal briefings and present research results at national and international conferences as well as periodic progress reports.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition, at the SES.4 Level, you will:
- Create and validate highly complex protocols to rapidly respond to emerging national security needs by collaborating with engineers, biomedical scientists, chemists, and computational biologists to identify effective countermeasures.
- Develop new and innovative research approaches relevant to the needs of Laboratory programs and/or external funding agencies; write proposals, secure funding, and establish independent research projects.
- Lead, manage and mentor a large, multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Chemistry or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in biochemistry, specifically cell-based and in vitro assays, and protein-small molecule binding assays.
- Significant research experience in drug design and development, including collaborating with computational scientists for design validation.
- Significant experience in molecular virology and development of surrogate viral models.
- Significant experience in protein expression and purification.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as confirmed through publication of peer-reviewed manuscripts.
- Ability to travel, as necessary, to interact with sponsors, customers and collaborators.
- Advanced written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills necessary to deliver presentations, prepare written reports and interact and collaborate with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 Level:
- Experience obtaining sustained funding
- Experience managing large multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience managing work in a A/BSL-3 biological select agent and toxin (BSAT) laboratory.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now