Refine Search Clear All
Systems Analyst - Nuclear Enterprise
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Nuclear Enterprise Analyst to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. You will work with multi-disciplinary teams to deliver software and analytic capabilities on topics of importance to the nuclear enterprise, including infrastructure, workforce, and stockpile modeling and modernization program planning. This position reports administratively to the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate and programmatically to the Associate Program Leader for Nuclear Weapons Evaluation and Planning within the Weapons Infrastructure Program.
In this role, you will
- Work closely with a team of systems analysts, engineers, computer scientists, and program management to design and productionize nuclear enterprise analytics tools, including those for current stockpile modernization programs.
- Assist in development of mathematical optimization and simulation models for applications in nuclear stockpile, infrastructure, and workforce domains.
- Support efforts to collect, catalog, and interpret nuclear enterprise data for use in mathematical models, including population of databases and use of visualization tools.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives by functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Participate in the Nuclear Enterprise Working Group and engage other team members to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in operations research, applied mathematics, or computer science or similar related degree.
- Experience using one or more mathematical optimization tools including algebraic modeling languages, such as AMPL or Pyomo, and optimization solvers, such as Gurobi or CPLEXExperience developing software applications with either Python, Perl, Visual Basic, C++, or Java within Windows or Linux environments.
- Experience with one or more of the following: defining data needs, identifying and accessing data sources, collecting raw and/or filtering or synthesizing existing data for application to specific modeling and simulation problems.
- Experience applying analytical skills to research, interpret, analyze, compile, and present technical and business data and information.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in operations research, applied mathematics, or computer science, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Familiarity with the structure of the nuclear enterprise, including the National Nuclear Security Administration and related areas of the Department of Defense and/or experience working within the DOE National Laboratory community
- Experience contributing to multidisciplinary teams and collaborating across disciplines and/or organizations to achieve project objectives; partnering with other laboratories and/or external organizations as necessary.
- Demonstrated experience as a project coordinator and/or principal investigator of projects with competing priorities, loosely defined deliverables, and high visibility.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now