Refine Search Clear All
Electronics Technologist - Mid/Senior
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Electronics Technologists and Senior Electronics Technologists. You will be a member of the innovative Advanced Sources and Detection (ASD) Scorpius Project under LLNL’s Enhanced Capability for Sub-Critical Experiment (ESCE) efforts. You will provide electronics technical support for transitioning experimental research equipment into high volume production. Support will encompass a wide variety of complex high-voltage, high- current, and fast-switching pulsed power and linear accelerator hardware and software projects. The ESCE effort encompasses multiple DOE Management and Operating (M&O) contractors and industry partners. Some travel may be required. These positions are in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Assemble, test, and integrate circuit boards, chassis components and diagnostics into pulsed power systems.
- Provide design feedback and recommend modifications to electronic circuits and system designs.
- Work from sketches, schematics and verbal or written instructions to solve problems at the sub-system and component level.
- Update written instructions for assembly, repair, calibration, and maintenance of equipment and systems.
- Perform experimental tests and measurements using standard electronic test equipment.
- Test, debug and operate timing, data acquisition and control system software.
- Acquire and analyze complex data during design, prototyping and production of components, systems, or equipment
- Contribute to moderately complex design concepts, production processes and engineering decisions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Establish circuit or systems parameters and production goals using advanced electronics knowledge, engineering principles, and mathematical calculations.
- Write or interpret equipment specifications used in production, troubleshooting, maintenance, and calibration of electronic systems, chassis, or components.
- Define work scope and lead daily activities of other technicians.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in electronics, computer maintenance/technology, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of Lock and Tag for personnel safety.
- Intermediate skills, knowledge, and abilities in electronics technology including general electronics background in both theory and design.
- Ability to apply intermediate electronic knowledge to a breadth of electronic circuits and -systems.
- Experience with production, testing and operation of electronic systems.
- Ability to solve moderately complex analytical problems.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation skills.
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Advanced understanding and experience in electronics technology with a background in theory and design related to high voltage pulsed power systems and diagnostics.
- Experience providing technical and safety leadership to multi-disciplinary production and development teams.
- Experience interacting with scientists and engineers supporting complex electronics and system design, operation and/or production.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with software development for industrial instrumentation, complex timing systems, integrated safety interlocks and other electronic control systems.
- Experience with high voltage pulsed power systems and safety procedures.
- National Instruments certification(s) in LabView development
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.