Refine Search Clear All
Additive Manufacturing - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in additive manufacturing of metallic materials. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of materials scientists, physicists and chemists applying existing and developing new laser-based additive manufacturing techniques and simulation methodologies to enhance fundamental understanding of process-structure-property-performance correlations and accelerate the qualification of additively manufactured materials. This position is in the Metallurgy & Advanced Microscopy Group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Develop advanced manufacturing approaches for metallic materials.
- Operate commercial additive manufacturing systems.
- Perform characterization of manufactured parts to determine microstructural features, density, surface roughness and geometrical distortion.
- Develop methodologies for correlation of in-process monitoring signals to material defects.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technicians and machinists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols including adherence to safety and security measures.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in materials science, chemistry, physics or related field.
- Experience with materials characterization methods for structural materials (i.e., X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, optical microscopy, and/or mechanical testing).
- Experience in computer programming for data analysis (e.g., Python, Matlab, Mathematica, C/C++).
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects and publish in peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications we desire
- Knowledge of or experience in directed energy deposition additive manufacturing.
- Knowledge of or experience in numerical simulations of thermally induced processes.
- Experience with a broad spectrum of materials synthesis and characterization concepts and techniques, including mechanical testing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.