Refine Search Clear All
Combination Commercial Building Inspector
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 369.1 Maintenance/Construction Coord / 369.2 Senior Maint/Construction Coor
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a combination Commercial Mechanical, Plumbing and General Building Inspector. You will provide advanced technical and administrative oversight responsibilities for the mechanical, plumbing and general building construction work and apply your advanced knowledge of California Building Codes, construction processes and engineering principles in the performance of the inspection duties. This position is in the Emergency Management Department, Fire and Building Safety Division.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide oversight and coordination of code compliance reviews of construction drawing and specification packages.
- Participate in design reviews and other meetings related to current and future projects.
- Perform inspections of work in progress and file inspection reports as required.
- Plan and conduct scheduled hold-point inspections and/or special inspections on construction projects.
- Responsible for daily and/or weekly inspection reports for all projects inspected to identify problems and implement solutions.
- Conduct final inspections and monitor the resolution of punch list deficiencies for each project to ensure proper operation and adherence to security, environmental, health and safety regulations.
- Review and validate as-built drawings for each construction project.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 369.2 level
- Resolve complex code issues and/or field problems that have a high consequence of error.
- Provide highly advanced technical and administrative direction and/or oversight of LLNL maintenance and construction projects and for the building department in the absence of the Chief Building Inspector.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent combination of education and experience with significant related experience in construction, or maintenance and operations of facility systems or utility site infrastructure systems.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience applying federal, state, and local construction codes, laws, and regulations including California Building, Mechanical and Plumbing Codes, and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Codes.
- Knowledge of the mechanical and plumbing systems as well as general building construction techniques and requirements.
- Advanced customer service and interpersonal skills including the ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel including construction subcontractors.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on a variety of concurrent activities with tight deadlines.
- Combination of certifications for at least two of the following: Commercial Mechanical Inspector(M2), Commercial Plumbing Inspector(P2), Commercial Building Inspector(B2), Commercial Electrical Inspector(E2).
- Ability to obtain a valid California Class C Driver’s License.
Additional qualifications at the 369.2 level
- Extensive experience as an Commercial Combination Building Inspector applying highly advanced knowledge of California building, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical codes, applicable standards, procedures, and techniques related to maintenance/construction project coordination
- Certified C-5 Commercial Combination Building Inspector (ICC).
- Demonstrated ability to provide oversight for the administration and technical direction of an organization performing code compliance activities at LLNL using independent discretion and sound professional judgement.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of maintenance and construction technologies, codes, laws, regulations, environmental requirements, DOE Orders, LLNL ES&H policies and procedures, security requirements, LLNL’s Integrated Safety Management (ISM), and LLNL’s safety culture.
- Certified C-3 Combination Plans Examiner (ICC).
- Possession of a California Electrical Certification.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.