Refine Search Clear All
Windows Systems Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Windows Systems Administrator to provide advanced technical computer, infrastructure, and operations support for systems in this heterogeneous environment. You will work in a safety conscious, challenging, rapidly changing, and team-oriented environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division within the Computation Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 393.1 or 393.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work primarily at the main Livermore facility supporting and building infrastructure in a fast paced and heterogeneous environment while monitoring both Corporate and Isolated Network and Core Infrastructure Services, such as Remote Desktop Services, Load Balancers, Active Directory, Storage Systems, DR and Backups, VMWare, DNS, DHCP, Citrix Etc.
- Manage Local Datacenter Operations, coordinate DR and BCP planning, perform security patching and hardware and/or software upgrades using independent judgment to resolve complex systems and network-related problems.
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to evaluate and recommend procurements of Windows or Appliance based hardware and software.
- Independently resolve problems, requiring highly advanced knowledge of one or more platforms (e.g., Windows, Exchange, VMWare, Active Directory, Citrix, etc.).
- Define and maintain support documentation and procedures.
- Be a team player, maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety knowledge, and support and represent the infrastructure team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 393.2 Level
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve highly complex system and network-related problems, including driving problem resolution, working with vendors, and managing cases as required.
- Serve as a technical leader and an internal and external consultant, providing highly advanced technical assistance to the user community and collaborating with customers in the design of their computing environment.
- Function as a technology advocate, ensuring the most appropriate solutions are employed and maintained.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems and/or Virtual environments and related hardware.
- Extensive experienced with Remote Desktop Services, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Computer Security and/or Networking Protocols.
- Ability to independently set priorities and resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience exercising effective customer support skills in a diverse user community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
- Proficient interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills, with ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
Additional Qualifications at the 393.2 Level
- Highly advanced knowledge of and substantial experience with Windows, and/or Linux operating systems, and/or Virtual environments and related hardware.
- Substantial experience mentoring employees in technical skills.
- Substantial experience serving as a technical team lead on projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure on time and on budget.
Qualifications We Desire
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical expertise with enterprise support tools for management, patching, or software distribution, computer network hardware, software, protocols, and principles, Windows computer security concepts and practices, computer network hardware/software, protocols and principles, and Windows operating systems.
- Professional computer certification (e.g., MCSA, MCSE, CompTIA A+, ACSP, RedHat) or a professional network certification (e.g., CCNA).
- Experience directing complex troubleshooting.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now