Refine Search Clear All
Metal Fabricator / Laser Cutting and Welding
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 971.2 Metal Fabricator II / 971.3 Metal Fabricator III
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Metal Fabricator to support the Laser Processing Work Center. Under minimal supervision you will be responsible for performing all operations related to Laser Processing technology, set-up, maintenance assignments, light machining, including modeling, machine programming, and estimating and planning jobs. This position requires a high level of independence and close interactions with customers. You will report to the Fabrication Supervisor. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Set up and operate Laser Processing Machines and related processing equipment to cut and weld parts and assemblies under general supervision.
- Label and safely perform waste collection and housekeeping of the work center.
- Perform shop calculations utilizing knowledge of material characteristics to determine optimum feeds, speeds, and dimensions.
- Train others in specific Laser Processing operations and set-ups.
- Fabricate fixtures and holding devices used during laser cutting/welding processes.
- Consistently apply sound quality control methods in a professional and efficient way.
- Make limited decisions and solve moderate to complex technical problems with minimal supervisor input.
- Maintain close interaction with MED supervision regarding workflow, customer relations, job progress, and facility or equipment issues.
- Compliance with established ES&H regulations and procedures, assuring that all work assignments are performed with due consideration to safety, security, and environmental impacts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 971.3 level
- Set up and operate Laser Processing Machines and related processing equipment to cut and weld parts and assemblies under minimal supervision.
- Train and lead others in specific Laser Processing operations and set-ups.
- Make regular decisions and solve moderate to complex technical problems with minimal supervisor input.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Intermediate journey level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the welding and/or machinist/fabricator trade.
- Basic to intermediate level knowledge of Co2 and YAG Lasers.
- Intermediate level of knowledge MasterCam or equivalent CAD/CAM systems.
- Intermediate level of knowledge G and M code programming for CNC controllers.
- Basic to intermediate level of knowledge Co2 Laser and YAG lasers.
- Ability to perform basic to moderate fabrication operations involving conventional and CNC machine tools, and/or related manufacturing and measuring equipment.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Strong customer and personnel interaction/communication skills.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes.
Additional qualifications at the 971.3 level
- Advanced Journeyman level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the fabrication technology.
- Proficient in Mastercam.
- Experience utilizing effective written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience/Knowledge of a pulse and quasi continuous wavelength laser welding system.
- Experience in working with thin metals in the range of .0015” to .0625”
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.