Refine Search Clear All
First Principles Semiconductor Modeling - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a First Principles Semiconductor Modeling - Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of first-principles modeling of ultra-wide band gap (UWBG) semiconductor materials, including electronic and optical properties, especially associated with crystal defects. You will join a collaborative team of researchers including experimentalists in synthesis, characterization, and device fabrication to develop novel UWBG optoelectronic devices and apply your knowledge in computational analysis of defect properties of materials toward these goals. This position is in the Quantum Simulations Group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Perform first-principles atomistic simulations of UWBG materials and their defects using modern density functional theory methods and more advanced simulation methods.
- Analyze electronic and optical properties of UWBG materials associated with various defects and dopants, and study light-matter interactions thereof.
- Collaborate with a team of theoretical and experimental researchers to study, design, and optimize materials for various optoelectronic applications.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in international conferences.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- PhD in materials science, chemical engineering, physics, electrical engineering, or related fields.
- Experience in modern first-principles atomistic materials modeling techniques, especially applied to electronic, optical, and/or optoelectronic properties of realistic semiconductor materials.
- Experience running simulations on massively-parallel high-performance computers and managing large volumes of data within complex computational workflows.
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, provide in depth analysis, and develop unique technical solutions to problems.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment, prepare written reports and present and explain technical information to a broad audience.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with physics, devices, and/or applications of wide band gap or ultra-wide band gap semiconductors.
- Experience computing optical excitation, absorption, and emission properties of doped semiconductors.
- Experience developing software for high-performance computers and/or complex analysis codes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.