Refine Search Clear All
Quality Assurance Inspector
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 338.1 Engineering/Scientific Coord / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple Quality Assurance (QA) Inspector openings to support the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate Operations. You will solve highly complex technical problems and implement a wide-range of QA functions, such as procurement, field and receipt inspections, review technical documents, implement QA and Work Control program requirements, and perform audits and assessments.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced technical and administrative oversight to ensure implementation of LLNL QA program requirements by analyzing and interpreting highly complex data to provide QA inspector services to WCI facility and programmatic organizations.
- Perform various technical inspections, field walk-downs, etc. in support of facility and programmatic activities at WCI facilities in accordance with WCI QA standards and requirements.
- Coordinate the completion of competing complex to highly complex tasks.
- Implement the Non-Conformance Report (NCR) process.
- Provide technical advice and direction to technicians, making frequent decisions using independent discretion and judgment.
- Provide advanced technical support to vendor inspections and reviews.
- Present results, both verbally and in writing, of technical reviews and inspections to various Laboratory subject matter experts and managers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 339.2 level
- Collaborate with program personnel to perform independent assessment and audit activities in a variety of conditions and environments, such as nuclear facility radioactive materials area, Site 300, High Explosive Applications Facility (HEAF), RHWM, and other WCI facilities.
- Perform highly advanced technical reviews and present the results to management, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Monitor and manage the Non-Conformance Report (NCR) process.
- Provide technical advice and direction to technicians, making frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment.
- Ability to secure and maintain U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical engineering, or a related scientific field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in one or more of the following: QA Program activities, technical reviews, product receipt inspections, engineering reviews, and hoisting and rigging inspections, which requires the ability to lift up to 40 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Significant experience applying a broad understanding of scientific and technical disciplines, including safety, engineering, operations, and maintenance.
- Advanced technical and organizational problem-solving skills.
- Significant experience working with Critical Measuring and Test Equipment, including control of these instruments.
- Significant experience reading and interpreting mechanical, electrical and structural design drawings and specifications and knowledge of ANSI Y-14.5 Standard.
- Advanced communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills to effectively write documents such as plans, procedures, and reports, and to present, explain and advise senior management.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Extensive experience in QA Program development, commercial grade item dedication testing and evaluation, software QA, and assessments and audits.
- Extensive experience providing technical evaluations and recommendations in a wide-range of engineering and technical disciplines.
- Highly advanced communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills at a highly advanced technical level to effectively write documents such as plans, procedures, specifications, and reports, and to present, explain and advise senior management, including external agencies such as Livermore Field Office, DOE HQ, and other state and government agencies regarding QA activities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience designing and working in a fabrication environment.
- Experience providing independent oversight of organizations, operations, or facilities, and assuring QA programs are implemented appropriately and in compliance (including nuclear facility experience).
- Registered as an AWS Certified Weld Inspector or Certified Electrical Inspector.
- Pre-placement medical exam may be required.
- Ability to lift-up to 40 pounds, climb ladders and scaffolding, and perform inspections at elevated heights or under fixed structures in a safe and controlled manner.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now