Refine Search Clear All
NIF&PS Clean Room Custodian
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 410.2 Custodian II
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Cleanroom Custodian II /Floorcare position in the Custodian Shop. You will perform custodial/housekeeping tasks, floorcare, and a full range of complex and compliance related duties which require independent judgment and follow through. Due to the unique hazards at the Laboratory, the Custodian II/Floorcare must undergo site-specific safety training and adhere to all safety and security requirements. This position is in Directorate Operations within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Principal Associate Directorate.
In this role you will
- Perform general Custodial/Janitor tasks in addition to cleaning all cleanroom areas, including Class 100,000 to Class 100 cleanrooms, following prescribed cleaning procedures.
- Conduct precision wiping of equipment, furniture, or fixtures, removing particulate down to the sub-micron size.
- Support all clean room areas with laundering of wipers and other reusable materials, ensuring cleanroom consumable material stock levels are maintained.
- Operate all equipment associated with floor care maintenance including but not limited to mechanical scrubbers, wet and dry vacuums, floor finish applicators, high-speed polisher and burnishes.
- Prepare standard reports, including daily task reports, work control documents, work orders, work permits and inventory checklists.
- Operate instruments for evaluation of cleanroom status such as particle counters, particle swipe analysis and perform measurement samples (swipes on volatile residue).
- Practice and understand the elements of good customer service, good communication skills, comprehension skills, and interaction with others.
- Maintain custodial/janitor equipment in a clean, safe and operable condition and ensure proper labeling, dilution and use of all chemicals and apply all environmental, safety and health requirements in day-to-day tasks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Experience with cleanroom cleaning procedures or similar experience in specialized cleaning and sanitation environments.
- Intermediate to advanced skills and experience in a variety of custodial tasks, including sweeping, steam cleaning, vacuuming, mopping or scrubbing floors, walls and ceilings; removing trash and other refuse.
- Intermediate to advanced skills and experience in floor care maintenance utilizing and operating all equipment and cleaning chemicals associated with custodial/janitorial and floor care work.
- Experience interpreting and implementing organizational procedures, multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment adhering to assigned task schedules, with the ability to meet the demands of the work schedule, including being at work and on time.
- Proven customer service, interpersonal and communication skills necessary to effectively interact with all customers, coworkers, and facility personnel. Skills necessary to read, receive, understand, and comply with verbal and written work assignments and specific detailed written safety instructions and signage.
- Basic knowledge of and experience with computers (i.e., Word, Outlook, Email, Excel, Power Point) for time keeping and standard reporting.
- Flexibility and willingness to accept change of assignment, work effectively in a team environment, start times, shift and/or additional duties, and the ability to work overtime, shift, or weekends to accomplish goals.
- Ability to wear proper cleanroom garments when preforming tasks in the cleanroom environment, work at heights up to 65 feet utilizing safety harnesses, slings, lifts, scaffolds, and other fall protection equipment, and work with HEPA vacuums, chemical mixtures of water, acetone, or alcohol.
- Ability to obtain and maintain Cleanroom Custodian Certification as well as a valid California Driver’s License.
Qualifications We Desire
- Previous experience with chemical safety.
- Knowledge and awareness of electrical hazards.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.