Refine Search Clear All
Senior Technician/Lead - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 532.2 Sr Fab Technician-Electronics / 532.3 Fab Tech Spec-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electronics User Shop (e-Shop) Senior Technician/Lead. The e-Shop is a maker type space where electronics technologists, engineers, and scientists can bring assembly, test, and development projects. You will work with customers to support their research and development efforts, ensure they are performing work within the safety envelop identified, and provide fabrication support and coordination with the Electronics Fabrication and Installation (EF&I) Team Lead and Supervisor. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general fabrication support to assist in the planning, organizing, and completion of moderately complex manufacturing projects in the e-Shop.
- Provide general support to ensure compliance with safety requirements and coordinate fabrication assistance by leveraging EF&I.
- Manage e-Shop space reservations, equipment loan pool, hazardous waste and flammable storage in accordance with e-Shop operations guide and Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) requirements.
- Manufacture cables and harnesses using standard crimpers and hand tools.
- Fabricate, assemble, and disassemble printed circuit boards, electronic devices and experimental apparatus using standard hand tools, soldering, test, and measurement equipment.
- Propose solutions and alternate approaches to improve manufacturing efficiency and quality.
- Assemble and install industrial control panels, enclosures, and systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 532.3 Level
- Provide advanced fabrication and coordination support to e-Shop users through specialized technical and administrative knowledge of electronics fabrication activities.
- Serve as EF&I Coordinator Backup accepting jobs, opening work orders, and communicating requirements to EF&I Team Leads.
- Provide training to e-Shop users as Electronics Fabrication Competent Worker Mentor.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Associate degree in electronics, or equivalent combination of education and experience and prior relevant experience.
- Intermediate skills, knowledge and abilities in electronics fabrication, inspection, or micro-fabrication which may be application specific.
- Ability to read and interpret moderately complex electrical, electronic, and mechanical drawings and work from verbal instructions.
- Experience working in a customer service or field support environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication, documentation, and organizational skills.
- Current IPC 620 and/or IPC J-STD certification or equivalent industry electronic fabrication standards.
- General understanding of electronic and network components including cable harness, circuit boards, copper cabling and fiber optics for the practical application of breaking down BOMs (Bill of Materials) for acquisition at the component level.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Office 365 applications Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and SharePoint.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 532.3 Level
- Significant experience with fabrication prototyping and production including design, component selection and layout tasks.
- Experience leading, mentoring and training other technicians to produce quality results.
- Advanced experience converting complex electrical, mechanical and/or facility level drawings into time and material estimates.
Qualifications We Desire
- Demonstrated experience developing and updating production documentation such as work procedures and drawings.
- Knowledge of ISO 9000 policies and procedures.
- Production experience in cleanroom environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.