Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist in the Flight Test Team. You will provide mechanical support for the build, modification, and upgrade of complex assemblies used on Mission Tests. The work involves building equipment used in the setup \ deployment of the LLNL Independent Diagnostic Scoring System (LIDSS), which is a complex system used to capture and record neutron, hydrophone, and optics data to aid in delivery vehicle scoring and to help assess weapon performance as part of the Stockpile Stewardship Program weapon certification for US ICBM and Cruise Missile Programs. Much of the testing is done at remote locations such as the Kwajalein Atoll, located in the Republic of Marshall Islands, as well as other locations including the Dugway Proving Grounds (Utah), the Broad Ocean Area, and Holloman Air Force Base (New Mexico). This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and build test fixtures, new equipment and prototype assemblies for Mission support.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems with limited assistance.
- Operate mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintain area controls, assist with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, test prior to experiment execution, and perform data recovery after experiment execution.
- Apply intermediate knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in solving mechanical problems.
- Provide operations, maintenance, design, fabrication, assembly support, and maintain systems documentation for test equipment.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, upgrades to equipment control, and general upkeep of the work area.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Provide advanced technical assembly and disassembly support of complex assemblies.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Assist in developing test parameters, comprehensive troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Engineering Technology, formal apprenticeship or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience solving a variety of moderately complex technical problems in completion of work assignments.
- Experience in a shop environment and able to use manual machine tools such as lathes and mills.
- Experience in mechanical fabrication and assembly.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills and ability to work constructively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to complete and maintain certifications as required by the position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirators.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Experience working with high level precision component assemblies with tight tolerances.
- High level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to read and follow complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and engineering drawings.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced understanding and use of machine tools and manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards.
- Experience working with CAD systems with the ability of being able to retrieve, view and manipulate models as needed.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.