Refine Search Clear All
Inorganic Analytical Chemist/Mass Spectrometrist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an inorganic analytical chemist/mass spectrometrist to support our trace element analysis by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) capability. This capability supports multiple scientific programs including nuclear forensics, environmental monitoring, and material science. This position is in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division supporting the Chemical and Isotopic Signatures Group.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Independently prepare samples for trace element analysis that may include sample digestion, spiking, and purification from sample matrix by ion exchange and other methods.
- Perform elemental analysis by Q-ICP-MS or HR-ICP-MS.
- Perform moderately complex data reduction and calculations, and prepare data reports.
- Maintain laboratory records for quality control and quality assurance purposes.
- Maintain chemistry laboratory equipment and interact with vendors or technicians for equipment purchase or repairs.
- Provide solutions to problems of moderate complexity.
- Interact with and support team members and the principal investigators on multiple projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Establish new analytical protocols and techniques for complex sample matrices by mass spectrometry which may include hyphenated techniques such as HPLC-ICPMS and LA-ICP-MS.
- Prepare research proposals for agencies that fund research on nuclear science.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific publications and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- B.S. in analytical chemistry, radiochemistry, geochemistry or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with sample digestion techniques using thermal methods and concentrated acids.
- Experience in trace elemental and isotopic analysis using Q-ICP-MS, TQ-ICP-MS and/or HR-ICP-MS.
- Experience preparing samples in a clean room setting.
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting laboratory equipment.
- Experience performing quality control evaluation of analytical data.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative research environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Ph.D. in Geochemistry, Chemistry, or related field, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Advanced knowledge of the operation of ICP-MS.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications, and deliver scientific presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with handling radioactive material.
- Experience with selective extraction media and chromatographic separation methods.
- Experience with automated separation techniques such as HPLC-ICP-MS.
- Experience with LA-ICP-MS.
- Experience with statistical programming languages such as R.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.