Refine Search Clear All
NIF Controls Group Technical Coordinator/Sr. Technical Coordinator
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 538.2 Technical Coordinator / 538.3 Sr. Technical Coord.
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a NIF Controls Group Technical Coordinator/Sr. Technical Coordinator You will be responsible for providing technical and administrative support for the acquisition and fabrication of electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware for various projects. This position is in the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide general coordination and support for multiple moderately complex technical projects and/or activities with evolving requirements and priorities.
- Maintain appropriate records and summaries to support project needs. Provide award/delivery status to supervisor and customers/requesters. Anticipate and reconcile supply problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones while working under general supervision.
- Collaborate with and provide general technical support to designers, technicians, machinists, engineers, internal organizations, outside suppliers, and vendors on multiple large and small moderately complex projects, sometimes involving hazardous materials.
- Support acquisition and fabrication of general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware activities for NIF&PS Directorate.
- Support Designers and Engineers in reviewing drawings and electrical schematics and other related technical information while applying appropriate standards, procedures, and techniques to screen parts sources. Review vendor proposed fabrication processes, pricing, and delivery schedules.
- Process general internal fabrication packages through LLNL fabrication facilities.
- Support inventory control of small satellite spares inventory facility.
- Strictly adhere to laboratory safety and security guidelines, and regulations, and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 538.3 level
- Provide advanced technical coordination support such as preparation of technical procurement packages for complex electro/mechanical fabrications including specifications and statements of work, as well as quality assurance and inspection requirements while working under minimal supervision.
- Monitor procurement deliverables and provide technical interface and make recommendations as needed between LLNL and supplier, e.g., on time deliverables, milestone reviews, and technical resolutions during processing.
- Make independent decisions regarding fabrication alternatives, supplier selections and substitute hardware and materials using LLNL guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related electromechanical experience.
- Experience in customer service or support organization and proven ability to interact with a diverse and demanding customer base.
- General coordination experience to support engineering teams including skills, knowledge, and abilities in procurement and coordination of moderately complex materials and equipment.
- Experience working independently, under general supervision, and as a team member with effective problem-solving skills. Ability to manage multiple competing priorities while meeting specific programmatic technical and reporting requirements.
- Intermediate level knowledge and understanding of conventional manufacturing and fabrication techniques, general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Knowledge of office computer software, common operating systems, and common word processing, spreadsheet, and databases.
- Ability to safely lift 25 pounds.
Additional qualifications at the 538.3 level
- Advanced skills, knowledge, and abilities in procurement and coordination of materials and equipment including ability to work independently, while under general supervision.
- Specialized technical and administrative knowledge required for decision making involving fabrication alternatives, supplies selections and materials.
Qualifications We Desire
- Intermediate level knowledge and understanding of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft Project to monitor schedules.
- High level understanding of electromechanical assembly and electronics technology.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.