Refine Search Clear All
General Physicist - Experimentalist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a General Physicist – Experimentalist with an emphasis of hands on work. You will execute a variety of complex accelerator-based experiments with a focus on design, vacuum hardware, materials, coating deposition, diagnostics, analogue and digital electronics, data acquisition and analysis, and other technically challenging problems. It is expected in this position that you will creatively apply diverse physics concepts to create innovative solutions. The hired individual will be working with experienced team members to maintain knowledge base at LLNL. Travel may be necessary to interact with sponsors and customers. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop and assess accelerator design and diagnostics, provide advanced analysis and solution to complex problems that may not be well defined.
- Be a part of a multidisciplinary team to guide analysis activities and designs of accelerator-based experiments.
- Creatively applying diverse physics concepts to create innovative solutions
- Write regular progress reports and prepare written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results.
- Maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas, and knowledge base.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Travel as necessary to interact with collaborators, sponsors and customers and conduct experiments.
- Adhere to the highest standards of personal and facility safety in performing tests and experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Lead effort to develop diagnostics, other additional hardware, and assembly efforts regarding accelerator testing.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert in identified areas, routinely interacting with management and/or sponsors across the Laboratory on advanced technical projects.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD degree in Physics, Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in the following topic areas: vacuum hardware, materials, coating deposition, diagnostics, analogue and digital electronics, data acquisition, and data analysis.
- Detail-oriented individual with a strong desire to learn new things
- Adept at on-line research.
- Significant experience working effectively and independently in a multidisciplinary, team-oriented research environment.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and initiative in addressing challenging problems.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced verbal and written communication and presentation skills necessary to author advanced technical and scientific reports, publications, invited papers, and to deliver scientific presentations and provide advice to management.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Highly advanced experience in topic areas listed above.
- Substantial experience developing innovative methods to expand knowledge of particle accelerators.
- Substantial experience setting specific strategies and/or directing multi-disciplinary teams to achieve program goals.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in analysis of accelerator experiments and beam diagnostics.
- Knowledge of accelerator physics.
- Experience in constructing accelerators.
- Active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.