Refine Search Clear All
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Applied Scientist to work on modeling and/or experimental investigation of shock-wave physics for complex physical and engineering applicaitons. In this role you will work as a member of an interdisciplinary team to study high-speed compressible-flow phenomena and their mechanical effects on various systems. This position is in the Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Perform and conduct modeling/simulation and/or experiments to generate strong shocks, blast waves, and/or detonations in atmospheric environments.
- Assess the effect of strong shock waves on systems of interest, either through computational fluid dynamics, computational structural mechanics, high-explosive based experiments, large-scale shock tubes, or other methods.
- Write periodic progress reports, test plans, and other documentation as required and update safety plans/Integration work sheets (IWS) in accordance with experimental needs.
- Maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas.
- Prepare written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results.
- Travel as necessary to interact with sponsors and customers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Serve as a technical expert in formal and ad hoc groups assembled to address pressing applications in national security.
- Identify new opportunities to investigate shock-physics effects and lead those efforts.
- Mentor and help develop staff.
- MS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Applied Science, Physics, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in either computational and/or experimental techniques for fluid mechanics, compressible flows, shock physics, detonations or explosions, impulse and mechanical movements.
- Significant experience authoring technical and scientific reports and publications and delivering scientific presentations.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience developing research proposals.
- Experience working with large-scale and high-fidelity computational-fluid-dynamics and explosive-physics codes.
- Significant experience working with advanced diagnostics for compressible-flow experiments.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in a physical science or engineering field.
- Experience within an NNSA laboratory.
- Desire to work and contribute to solving complex problems relevant to national security missions.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.