Refine Search Clear All
Metal Powder Production Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Gas Atomization/Electron Beam Melt Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist. You will work on experiments in collaboration with engineering, scientific, and technical staff. You will provide general technical support for new and on-going experiments at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide general technical support for a wide range of metallic powder activities surrounding gas atomization.
- Utilize intermediate knowledge of fabrication, assembly, installation, operation, troubleshooting and maintenance to aid in the gas atomization powder production process.
- Work safely with hazardous metallic powders in glove box and fume hoods.
- Work with vacuum systems (m-torr) and medium pressure (<3000 psi) gas systems.
- Operate advanced custom machinery, including programmable logic controllers, using dedicated HMI interfaces.
- Execute intricate material handling operations, including material transfer, material testing, and material distribution, both upstream and downstream of the main foundry operations.
- Perform simple material characterization using optical and mechanical equipment, such as sieves, air classifiers, microscopes, and benchtop units, including safety testing for flammability and reactivity.
- Work independently while under general supervision, tailor approaches to unique and challenging problems involved with semi-automated processes to optimize the melting and atomizing of unique metal powders.
- Provide feedback and propose unique solutions to improve highly complex foundry and powder processes new to LLNL.
- Design, develop, document, and modify basic hardware for system operations including fabrication, assembly/disassembly of mechanical components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Review work controls and procedures and providing input as appropriate; review and update procedures, manuals, and qualifications.
- Use software methods for data collection, analysis, reporting, and presenting results.
- Operate related shop equipment, hand tools, measuring instruments; operate diagnostic equipment and perform complex mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Job Duties at the 533.3 Level
- Lead a team of Technologists including oversight of planning and organization that includes development of test parameters, comprehensive troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying complex problems, and providing guidance on solutions.
- Develop, refine, and implement technical operating procedures to ensure increased efficiencies and optimal process flow and material handling upstream and downstream from the main foundry operations.
- Use of software methods for complex data collection, analysis, including regular and formal reporting of results to internal management as well as external business partners as appropriate.
- Propose and develop changes and improvements to mechanical systems and process flow to optimize product and increase efficiencies and reliability.
- Understand programmatic drivers and cater process to achieve success on larger scale, including optimization to feed downstream processes.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Engineering Technology Science, or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience solving a variety of technical problems in completion of work assignments.
- Intermediate skills and knowledge of mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Experience working with complex mechanical systems, including fabrication and assembly of said systems.
- Advanced written and verbal communication and presentation skills and ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team environment; ability to vocalize concerns and suggestions for improvements.
- Ability to complete training and maintain certifications as required by the position.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirators.
- Experience following complex assembly procedures and operating manuals.
- Familiarity with engineering drawings and technical documentation.
Additional Qualifications at the 533.3 Level
- Experience interpreting and developing complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and engineering drawings.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in solving mechanical problems, developing test parameters, comprehensive troubleshooting and testing of materials, components, and systems, as well as identifying problems, and providing solutions under minimal supervision.
- Prior leadership experience including oversight of technical work, workforce planning, and an ability to approach work from a strategic, problem solving standpoint.
- Advanced knowledge and experience developing, refining, and implementing technical operating procedures including intermediate knowledge of work control process and procedure requirements.
- Ability to analyze complex data sets and formally report results and strategies to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with customized foundry and welding systems in a R&D environment and working with radioactive/fissile materials.
- Experience working with welding equipment, including TIG welding and operating robotic welders.
- Experience working with powder bed fusion additive manufacturing and metallic powders.
- Intermediate knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.