Refine Search Clear All
Explosive Materials Staff Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for Explosive Materials Staff Scientists to perform a full range of moderate to complex research in the areas of material aging, compatibility and performance of explosive materials. You will actively participate with and be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting research in initiation systems. This position is in the Reaction Dynamics group in the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct research and contribute to the development of advanced mechanical, thermal, electronic, optical and/or explosive systems for various applications.
- Work independently and within teams to solve moderately complex to complex problems in the areas of engineering hardware design, chemical analysis, spectroscopy and detonation science that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technicians, and supervisors from LLNL and its sponsors to support system development.
- Contribute to project/program milestone completion and provide solutions to problems of limited complexity using standard techniques and methodologies.
- Document research activities, write reports, and deliver briefings on your efforts.
- Define and prioritize tasks and goals to ensure project needs are addressed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Obtain certification as a qualified explosives handler, firing operator, and ramrod (training provided through LLNL).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Broad experience in analyzing and interpreting fundamental experimental results and reporting findings.
- Broad knowledge in one or more of the following: engineering hardware design, chemical analysis, spectroscopic techniques, material testing methods.
- Ability to perform independent work with technical objectives and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certification as a qualified explosives handler.
- Experience conducting directed research with limited direction.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to document research results, and to prepare and present proposals, papers, and reports to internal and external audiences.
- Proficient interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working in an environment with stringent safety and security policies.
- Working knowledge of and/or experience with material aging, compatibility, or explosive materials.
- Experience programming in Java, Python or Matlab
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.