Refine Search Clear All
Metallurgical Science - Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Metallurgical Scientist to independently drive the development and integration of metallurgical processing technologies for depleted uranium manufacturing. This effort involves close collaboration with other DOE laboratories and carries a domestic travel requirement of 25% time. The scientist will collaborate with a broad array of LLNL personnel, including materials scientists on qualification, engineers on equipment design and process monitoring, and technologists. This position is in the Metallurgy and Advanced Microscopy Group within the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Perform fundamental research related to depleted uranium manufacturing, including high-temperature testing, powder characterization and powder metallurgy, and advanced manufacturing.
- Collaborate with LLNL and LANL scientists on depleted uranium alloy manufacturing, including casting, wrought processing, and alloying via VIM, VAR, and cold hearth melting techniques.
- Lead, contribute to, and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Develop and optimize processes using monitoring techniques and product inspection/qualification.
- Work both independently and collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish program goals.
- Prepare written analyses, verbal briefings, and other products that capture and communicate research results.
- Present research findings to sponsors and consumers.
- Maintain and establish laboratory safety and security protocols.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Materials Science, Metallurgy, Welding, Chemistry, or other closely related discipline involving materials processing, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in metallurgical processing, with an emphasis on welding and casting.
- Significant experience with a broad spectrum of metallurgical characterization and qualification testing.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with project management.
- Ability to self-direct and to direct others.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team research environment and to support fellow engineers, scientists, and technologists.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to management, program managers, and funding organizations.
- Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research environment, both internal and external.
Qualifications We Desire
- Broad familiarity and experience with metallurgical processing techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of metal and alloy solidification.
- Experience with a broad spectrum of materials characterization concepts and techniques.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.