Refine Search Clear All
Central Alarm Station Operator
Security | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 653.1 CAS Operator
Organization: Security Organization
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for multiple Central Alarm Station (CAS) Operators. You will operate and monitor security-related systems and alarms; dispatch routine and emergency assignments and tasks within Sites 200 and 300; and work cooperatively and effectively in a confined environment. This position is in the Protective Force Division (PFD) within the Security Organization (SO).
In this role you will
- Responsible for ensuring integrity of alarms and computer systems; performs alarm system testing, identifies anomalies and initiates appropriate action for repair and security response measures.
- Implement and understand comprehensive security response procedures.
- Communicate with system managers, programmers, and technicians regarding system malfunctions; participate in troubleshooting and help to identify solutions to difficult problems associated with maintaining databases.
- Operate and monitor radio communications with security police officers, alarm technicians and maintenance personnel during routine and emergency situations and record activity.
- Prioritize and dispatch appropriate security and safety personnel in accordance with orders, policies and procedures, and mutual aid agreement procedures for non-emergency/emergency responses.
- Operate and monitor closed circuit televisions, LLNL’s security alarm system (Argus), and access control system; and access the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System.
- Initiate and prepare various reports, records, using a computer-aided dispatch system and in accordance with established procedures.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of and comply with applicable Department of Energy (DOE) and LLNL security procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire
- Ability to successfully complete a basic CAS training course designed to provide the minimum level of skills and knowledge to perform tasks associated with the CAS duties and responsibilities.
- Experience applying established organizational plans, policies and procedures and the ability to understand DOE access requirements, and SO and PFD plans, policies and procedures.
- Ability to exercise patience, tact, and courtesy when dealing with people and to perform effectively in stressful situations.
- Effective written, verbal, and interpersonal skills during routine and emergency situations to interact with diplomacy and tact with a wide variety of personnel and disciplines internal and external to the Laboratory. Experience exercising patience, tact, and courtesy when dealing with people and to perform effectively in difficult situations; experience exercising good judgement and making sound decision in emergency situations. Advanced organizational skills to independently determine and set priorities in a fast-paced environment and complete multiple projects and assignments in a timely manner.
- Experience working cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and the ability to work effectively in a confined environment under periods of intense activity.
- Organizational skills to independently determine and set priorities in a fast paced environment and ability to complete multiple projects and assignments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated experience with PCs, proficiency with Microsoft Office Word and Excel, experience in use of available technology (portable radios, smartphones, tablets, etc.)
- Knowledge of government access control requirements and policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the Argus security system and LLNL's access control system.
- Current certification in the use of California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.