Refine Search Clear All
Electrical Engineer/Systems Engineer - Senior - Passive Remote Sensing Group
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Electrical Engineer/Systems Engineer - Senior to support the Passive Remote Sensing (PRS) group in Global Security's Principal Directorate's (GSPD's) Space Program. You will participate in a team environment on new and ongoing Remote Hyperspectral Imaging (HSI) and passive electro-optical/infrared sensor system projects. Work involves developing, operating, maintaining, and providing reach back support to sensor systems, with technical responsibility spanning design, development, fabrication, integration, testing, and fielding of state-of-the-art, complex electro-optical systems. Work may also include experimental integration planning and execution. Variable travel to provide in-person, on-site technical leadership and support is an important aspect of this effort. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Describe complex system architectures, components, functions, and interfaces.
- Identify stakeholders and their expectations of system performance.
- Design, document, approve, and oversee fabrication of custom electronic components and wiring.
- Maintain configuration documents for various PRS systems including wiring diagrams, power and weight budgets, sensor components.
- Provide direction and coordination amongst Physicists, Engineers, Technicians and Software staff to support sensor developments, builds, Assembly, Integration & Test (AI&T), and sensor operation.
- Become technical leader for design heritage, theory of operations, remote and in-person troubleshooting, operations & maintenance.
- Deploy equipment and teams to use LLNL’s remote sensing systems.
- Fly aboard aircraft and work on the ground to operate and troubleshoot LLNL’s sensor systems for engineering checkout flights (ECFs), operational test & evaluations (OT&E), R&D field campaigns, and potentially operational demonstration deployments both CONUS and OCONUS.
- Coordinate and interface with sponsor/customer and internal and external partner organizations, to complete various projects and track shipments and inventory of system components.
- Travel the world to exciting places as the Sensor System Subject Matter Expert (SME) in support of hands-on operations & maintenance (O&M), training, troubleshooting, and problem resolution.
- Train airborne sensor operators (ASOs) and field service representatives (FSRs) personnel.
- Work with vendors to modify commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) equipment and provide special features.
- Support Principal Investigator's (PIs) and Project Managers (PMs) in generating detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Generate and present material for programmatic, safety and engineering reviews and reports and lead/participate in project design reviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Fulfill the role of Principal Investigator (PI) for specific projects, when determined appropriate.
- Set broad project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others ,and fulfill the role of PI for specific projects, when determined appropriate.
- Work with external sponsors, customers, and stakeholders to identify needs, establish requirements, provide solutions, make/support commitments to sponsors on behalf of LLNL’s PRS group.
- Develop expert ideas and technical industry best practices that meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Provide expert capabilities in the development of highly complex electro-optics remote sensor systems.
- Become familiar with, and possibly participate in, hyperspectral data exploitation aspects of developments and sensor operation.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with electrical engineering concepts related to assembly, calibration, integration, and testing of complex EO/IR sensor systems.
- Advanced knowledge of complex electrical and EO/IR sensor systems.
- Familiarity and understanding of software development.
- Experience in technical leadership training personnel, and meeting deliverables on multiple, concurrent projects on schedule and within budget.
- Advanced communication skills with ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other internal and external technical team members and to provide advice to management..
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Master's degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Highly advanced knowledge and expert experience translating customer and user needs into sensor top level requirements and flowing these to lower-level hardware and software requirements in a manner that is readily traceable over the lifecycle of the product.
- Expert experience monitoring performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables, and lead corrective actions where necessary with expert verbal skills to advise senior management and external sponsors, and to positively represent the Program and the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ability to obtain an SCI security clearance.
- Knowledge of complex electro-optic systems and ability to apply that knowledge to hyperspectral imaging sensors in the LWIR, MWIR, SWIR, NIR and visible regimes.
- Subject matter expertise in one or more areas applicable to this programmatic area.
- Experience working with external customers to meet their needs.
- Experience collaborating across DOE Labs and other U.S. National Security organizations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.