Refine Search Clear All
Design Physics - Postdoctoral Researchers
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Design Physics - Postdoctoral Researchers. We invite PhD graduates from a variety of STEM fields (including, but not limited to, the various physics disciplines, engineering, experimental science, computational physics, planetary science, chemistry, or material science) to apply for one of our Postdoctoral Research Fellowships. We will work with successful candidates to tailor a postdoctoral project and select a mentor to support each individual’s development. This opportunity is intended for individuals who have finished their PhD and wish to further develop their skills, knowledge, and/or abilities to better position themselves for a future staff position within the Design Physics Division or elsewhere in LLNL.
Our postdoc positions are atypical – we select highly qualified candidates based on demonstrated research aptitude and then customize the project assignment to fit their abilities and interests as well as our needs. Recent projects have involved the physics of Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF), turbulence and fluid instabilities, atomistic and continuum models of transport, planetary defense, diagnostic development, computational solid and fluid dynamics, chemical physics, particle and radiation transport algorithm development, and uncertainty quantification. This position is in the Design Physics Division within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
In this role you will
- Develop new tools, algorithms, and/or design new experiments to further our scientific understanding.
- Conduct research in the use of massively parallel computer platforms to solve scientific challenges.
- Conduct research in a topical area using theory, experiment, and/or simulation tools.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in a related physical science, engineering or applied mathematics discipline.
- Experience in high-quality research in a relevant field, demonstrating both detailed understanding and a broad perspective.
- Demonstrated significant accomplishments in experimental science, numerical simulations and modeling, and/or the application of theoretical techniques.
- Experience developing innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Demonstrated proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.