Refine Search Clear All
Multi-physics/Advanced Numerical Simulations Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the area of hydrodynamic simulations of materials with designer properties. The primary focus will be on 1) analysis of 3D printed energetic materials under dynamic loading conditions;2) software development to utilize automatic differentiation libraries in finite element simulations; and 3) apply deep neural networks to inverse problems in complex time-dependent hydrodynamic scenarios. This position is in the Materials Dynamics and Kinetics group in the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Design and perform multi-physics numerical simulations of condensed phases under dynamic loading.
- Determination of initial conditions yielding desired outcomes in novel additive manufactured materials.
- Establishment of design principles for future material synthesis.
- Document research; write published papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community, at working group meetings, and at conferences.
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research related to the study of materials under extreme thermodynamic conditions.
- Understand and follow LLNL's policies and regulations related to ES&H and Integrated Safety Management; Perform assignments with ESH&Q, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Establish independent research projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Computational Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Applied Mathematics, or related field.
- Experience in programming in C/C++, Fortran, or an equivalent high-level language.
- Experience with a scripting language such as python.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated capabilities to author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Proficient communication and interpersonal skills to work in a diverse multidisciplinary research team environment.
- Recent record of peer-reviewed publications.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.