Refine Search Clear All
Pulsed Power Systems & Magnetized Inertial Confinement Fusion Plasmas- Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an experimental Postdoctoral Researcher with a background in pulsed power, high voltage, &/or fusion plasmas to advance the science and engineering of magnetic drive systems for magneto-inertial fusion and other high energy density science (HEDS) experiments on the National Ignition Facility (NIF). You will develop pulsed, single-shot high-field magnets and associated pulsed power systems for magnetizing NIF targets at up to 50T as part of a multidisciplinary team exploring the use of magnetic fields to improve NIF implosion performance for ignition (https://lasers.llnl.gov/news/could-magnetized-targets-improve-nifs-ignition-chances). In addition, you will develop this system for magnetizing targets used for high neutron and x-ray sources, Discovery Science experiments and magnetized liner inertial fusion research. This position is within the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) division within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Design and execute experiments on NIF magnetic pulsed power systems to develop innovative high-field magnets for a variety of magneto-inertial fusion and HED NIF targets, including cryogenic targets, as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Design, build, and commission new pulsed power systems, components, and diagnostics for increasing NIF magnetic field capability as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Analyze and interpret electrical, optical, thermal performance data, leverage simulation and modeling tools in partnership with team members, to draw conclusions and plan experiments that improve understanding of electrical, material, and debris and shrapnel dynamic behaviors in high-field pulsed magnets, in order to enable a reliable high-field capability for the NIF.
- Collaborate with scientists, researchers, and engineers to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD degree in electrical engineering, physics, or a related field.
- Knowledge of and experience with one or more of the following: design and operation of pulsed power and/or high voltage systems; design and operation of diagnostics associated with pulsed power and/or high voltage systems, including laser and imager based diagnostics; design and execution of experiments producing pulsed high magnetic fields; experimental plasma physics in a related area.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution, including developing innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Experience developing independent research projects, including publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.