Refine Search Clear All
Bioinformatics/Microbiome Biologist - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 09/13/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
NOTE: This is a two-year term appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
We have an opening for a Bioinformatics/Microbiome Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the area of microbiome science and quantitative computational biology. You will explore opportunities to further scientific understanding of the underlying microbiome constituent features that impact human health and resilience. This includes developing new methods, tools, and workflows for metagenomic sequence and multi-omic data generation, pre-processing, and analysis in the context of health and disease phenotypes. This position is in the Microbiology/Immunology group in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
In this role you will:
- Contribute to generation of novel metagenomic datasets from microbiome samples.
- Develop and apply pipelines for metagenomic data intake and processing.
- Apply statistical techniques to understand a range of microbiome-relevant health outcomes and disease states.
- Perform analyses of diverse phenotypic, metagenomic, and metabolic datasets.
- Research, design, and implement models that integrate pre-existing data with novel generated data to identify significant trends and predict outcomes.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research at seminars, technical meetings, and conferences.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, or a related field.
- Familiarity with bioinformatics tools for bulk or single cell sequence pre-processing, alignment, and assessment of genomic features.
- Experience in quantitative biology, statistical analysis, and data visualization
- Ability to develop and apply novel analytical techniques for metagenomic and multi-omic analyses of microbiome data from living systems.
- Desire to learn and apply novel techniques, adapting to complex project needs.
- Ability to complete independent research projects, as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to present technical information and effectively collaborate in a highly multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications we desire:
- Experience with sequence library preparation and bulk/single-cell next-gen sequencing.
- Experience in metagenomic data analysis and microbiome analytical tools, including analysis of 16S rDNA and shotgun metagenomic data and experience with systems biology and multi-omics analysis of health-related datasets.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.