Refine Search Clear All
Deputy Assurance Manager-Active Security Clearance Required
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 09/10/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Deputy Assurance Manager to work with the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) Assurance Manager & Directorate Security Officer (AM/DSO), providing oversight of Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H), Security, and Quality programs for all PLS work. Responsibilities include assisting with implementing plans and procedures to provide assurance that all directorate activities are performed in compliance with PLS and LLNL/LLNS policies, federal, state, and local laws and regulations. The Deputy Assurance Manager serves as the secondary point-of-contact for PLS with DOE/NNSA, government agencies, and other external groups for ES&H and security matters. This position is in the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.3 or TSS.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Serve as a technical point of contact for quality assurance programs within PLS, including participation with the Quality Management Council, and assisting in scope and content revisions to the PLS Directorate Quality Assurance Plan (DQAP).
- Assist the PLS AM/DSO with the planning and execution of the PLS self-assessment program, including scheduling of management observations and inspections (MOIs), and resolution of issues discovered by such assessments.
- Participate in performing internal management self-assessments as part of the PLS institutional assessment program (IAP).
- Serve as a key member of the PLS Operations Reviews Board (ORB).
- Provide technical expertise to direct and resolve complex program and cross-organizational quality assurance issues through interactions with program managers, LLNL management, and DOE/LFO.
- Co-manage and resolve issues and actions, discovered by organizations outside PLS (e.g., IST inspections and walkarounds, laser safety audits, biosafety laboratory inspections, etc.), within the Devonway ITS.
- Provide assistance with conducting causal analysis, extent of condition reviews, and effectiveness reviews following occurrences or Incidents Of Security Concern (IOSC)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 Level:
- Lead internal management self-assessments as part of the PLS institutional assessment program (IAP) and perform tracking/trending analysis on Directorate incidents, safety and security deficiencies and issues from the Issues Tracking System (ITS), DOE Occurrence Reporting Processing System (ORPS), LLNL Electronic Injury/Illness Case Analysis Report (eCAR) and the Occupational Accident/Injury/Illness Analysis Support Information System (OAASIS). databases. The results may impact PLS policies and procedures.
- Quality Assurance (QA) subject matter expert to managers and staff members regarding LLNL’s QA policies and ISO 9000 regulatory interpretation and implementation as they apply to PLS operations. Provide guidance and oversight to PLS managers to assure compliance with all related standards and requirements.
- Significantly influence, formulate, and execute short-term and long-term strategic QA goals providing solutions to highly complex technical issues/problems where the solution path is not known ahead of time, working under consultative direction. Direct highly complex technical tasks and act as a leader of multi-disciplinary teams.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret Clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Life Sciences, or related field or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience in the application of quality assurance principles, theories, concepts, and techniques; execution of a quality assurance program at an industrial or research and development facility; development and implementation of quality assurance plans
- Significant experience in the development, monitoring, and reporting of detailed quantitative performance metrics for technical organizations.
- Significant experience performing assessments, audits, and surveillance activities; development of formal corrective action plans and confirmation of issue resolution.
- Effective leadership, decision-making, creative and innovative problem-solving skills necessary for resolving complex compliance issues in a demanding environment.
- Advanced verbal, written, and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively review and evaluate documents, present, and explain technical information, and provide advice to management, technical staff, the DOE and other external agencies.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 Level
- Significant experience developing, applying, and explaining complex technical programs, documents, procedures, specifications, and reports. Expert verbal and interpersonal communication and facilitation skills.
- Significant experience successfully negotiating and influencing various levels of personnel within large organizations and/or DOE/NNSA.
- Significant experience leading the application, development, and implementation of quality management systems (i.e., ISO 9000).
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL and PLS organizations.
- Knowledge and experience with HPI practices.
- Experience with the LLNL issues tracking system (ITS).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.