Refine Search Clear All
Electrician or Electric Motor Technician
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 09/10/2021
Job Code: 824.1 Electrician I / 824.2 Electrician II
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electrician I/Electrician II. You will perform a variety of specialized journey-level electrical trade functions in the inspection, operation, installation, repair, replacement, testing, and troubleshooting of electrical components and equipment. You will interact with clients, supervisors, maintenance/building coordinators, inspectors, Environmental Safety and Health technicians, co-workers, and other craft personnel. This position is in the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department. This position may require working at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Perform basic journey level specialized electrical trade functions in the installation, maintenance, operations, repair, replacement, testing, and troubleshooting of electrical motors.
- Perform maintenance, operations, construction, repairs, and testing on facility electrical systems and associated equipment to restore systems to operational condition.
- Perform lockout/tagout to isolate components and de-energize equipment.
- Work with other craft personnel and provide technical guidance.
- Provide effective and timely customer service to clients and team members.
- Analyze, prepare, and deliver reports required for managing projects, work orders, and preventative maintenance records
- Complete preventative maintenance requests, deficiency reports, and work orders using a personal computer.
- Follow all national, local, and Laboratory safety procedures and policies including lockout/tagout (LOTO), selecting and using appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), and actively participating in Laboratory work planning and control process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 824.2 level
- Perform intermediate to advanced journey level specialized electrical trade functions in the maintenance, inspections, operations, installation, repair, replacement, testing and troubleshooting electric motors on building equipment (e.g HVAC, FE’s, FHE’s, Pumps, vacuum systems).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent and completion of related apprentice training program or equivalent journey-level work experience in the electrician trade.
- Knowledge of and ability to maintain, inspect, operate, install, repair, replace, test, and troubleshoot electrical components.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge and abilities in the electrician trade, including electrical codes and applicable ES&H laws and regulations.
- Proficient in the use of all hand tools and portable power tools of the trade.
- Effective verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact and work independently and effectively with other crafts personnel, team members, managers, administrative staff, and provide essential customer service to clients.
- Basic computer skills necessary to prepare logs and reports, send and receive e-mails, perform computer-based training, and timekeeping entry.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class C Driver’s License, work scheduled, on-call, and emergency overtime, lift up to 50 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner, and work in confined spaces.
Additional qualifications at the 824.2 level
- Intermediate to advanced journey level skills, knowledge and abilities and extensive experience in the electrician trade, including electrical codes and applicable ES&H laws and regulations.
- Specialized skills, knowledge of and ability to maintain, inspect, operate, install, repair, replace, test and troubleshoot electric motors on equipment (e.g single phase, 3 phase, direct drive belt drive) and knowledge of Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs) and Pumps.
- Valid State of California General Electrician License.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience reading and working from electrical diagrams, drawings, schematics, and prints.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
Employee Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed through the following link.