Refine Search Clear All
Electronics Technologist for DoDT
Engineering | livermore, CA | 09/09/2021
Job Code: 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electronics Technologist for DoDT to fabricate, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with electronic and control systems for Department of Defense Technologies (DoDT) in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF & PS). This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Independently deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble complex electronic systems, including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Independently identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex electronic problems using individual creativity and judgment; prioritize and provide work and technical guidance to others checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting and testing materials, components, systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Provide advanced technical support demonstrating complex understanding of electronics theory and using sophisticated test equipment and troubleshooting methods.
- Assist in the design, documentation, and modification of distributed and embedded control systems.
- Perform routine/comprehensive maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment.
- Using formal test processes, document results of commissioning and troubleshooting activities of electronic hardware and systems.
- Contribute to moderately/highly complex preliminary design concepts and engineering decision process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in an engineering technology such as electronics, photonics, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in electronic troubleshooting using common diagnostic hardware.
- Advanced knowledge of engineering hardware testing processes.
- Experience with complex electronic assembly; including soldering, wiring, troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Advanced understanding of electronic and/or photonics technology and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience and knowledge in performing automated hardware testing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.