Refine Search Clear All
Industrial Safety/Industrial Hygiene Professional
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 09/09/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Industrial Safety/Industrial Hygiene Professional in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate. You will provide complex industrial hygiene (IH)/ industrial safety (IS) support to various LLNL programs as well as provide support and guidance to other ES&H team members in the area of IH/IS. This opportunity is a mid/senior level.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced IS/IH support and perform the following duties for LLNL programs in specific areas of assignment to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations. Advise programmatic personnel in developing solutions to complex IH/IS related problems.
- Conduct building inspections, evaluate materials, investigate and develop reports on accidents/incidence, and review workplace environments to identify potential health hazards, recommend corrective actions and provide technical assistance at both on-site and off-site scenes of emergencies.
- Write and review technical reports and review and evaluate new safety and health standards; prepare and/or review related safety documentation including, but not limited to: fall protection plans, Hazards Control and Assessment Forms, personnel exposure reports, LOTO plans, etc.; develop and present safety courses in IS/IH or related topics.
- Evaluate materials for health effects through literature searches and/or coordinate and conduct special studies on potential occupational safety and health problems.
- Refer employees to Health Services for medical surveillance, when appropriate, based on potential or actual occupational exposure; investigate reports of occupational illnesses that are referred by Health Services.
- Provide oversight to the Health and Safety Technicians on IH sampling, discipline action plan duties, and program concerns related to industrial hygiene; develop an IH and IS Discipline Action Plan (DAP) for the area(s) covered.
- Review sample results and make applicable recommendations to the program to control associated hazards. Review and evaluate designs for new experiments and facility modifications.
- Develop, manage, and maintain specific IS programs. Mentor less experienced personnel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Provide IS/IH guidance and support for complex, long-term projects within dynamic operational structure and facility. Although project scope is well defined techniques and approaches to address hazards and develop controls may be ambiguous. Represents the organization as the technical resource on tasks and projects.
- Serve as an institutional Subject Matter Expert in one or more topical areas related to IS/IH and represent the laboratory with internal DOE stakeholders and/or external standards committees.
- Develop new ideas or approaches. Advances initiatives and may pilot change within safety-related subject areas such as human performance initiatives
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in industrial safety/industrial hygiene or related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge and relevant previous experience and demonstrated ability to perform independent work.
- Significant experience in two or more of the following: laboratory research and training, conducting gap analysis, preparing safety plans, reviewing new health and safety standards, providing technical direction/leadership to health and safety staff on IS/IH related matters, (e.g., sampling, discipline actions plans), providing emergency response support and participation in investigations of incidents or accidents.
- Advanced knowledge of IS/IH federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend, and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Advanced organizational skills with attention to detail necessary to handle multiple complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing a high-level of customer service and excellent follow through.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4
- Expert-level knowledge in one or more of the following industrial safety topical areas; material handling (PITs and cranes), hoisting and rigging, trenching and excavation, electrical safety, LOTO, working at heights, as well as others, and demonstrated ability to lead independent work in IS/IH assignments.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend, and implement actions/solutions for highly complex problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or other scientific, technical or health and safety related field.
- Certification by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP) and/or ABIH Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
- Knowledge of DOE Orders.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.