Refine Search Clear All
Systems Analyst - Experienced
Engineering | livermore, CA | 09/01/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking highly qualified scientists and engineers to join our interdisciplinary team of systems analysts supporting a variety of application areas such as Cyber Security, Infrastructure Resilience, Intelligence Analysis, Energy Systems and Climate Resilience. You will apply a combination of technical depth and breadth, critical thinking, modeling and simulation, and analysis to understand multi-domain problem areas and provide decision insight, communicate options and trade offs, and facilitates the integration of new technology in support of customer missions. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide solutions requiring in depth analysis and creative use of innovative methods to a diverse range of complex, poorly defined problems through leveraging subject matter expertise and collaborating with scientists and researchers across a variety of technical disciplines.
- Create innovative analytical frameworks and evaluate competing characteristics to determine solutions that most effectively meet stakeholder objectives; provide decision insight to customers and stakeholders in highly complex problem areas.
- Provide technical leadership to projects; maintain and ensure quality standards for deliverables, publications, and presentations; leverage team members’ skills to successfully complete highly complex projects, by ensuring excellence in execution of technical work in the program.
- Develop creative program growth opportunities through interactions with current and potential sponsors and creation of research proposals.
- Serve as role model and mentor for junior staff, support new staff recruitment activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 level
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure scope, schedule and budgets are met.
- Simultaneously lead various highly complex projects, effectively leveraging the skills of team members.
- Serve as a mentor for multiple junior and mid-level staff, participate in recruiting efforts as needed.
- Serve as a primary technical point of contact with sponsors and partners and participate in development of new program business.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in engineering, physical science, computer science, or the equivalent combination of education and previous related experience.
- Significant experience and expertise in one or more of the following analysis techniques: modeling and simulation, risk analysis, data analytics or other analytical tools that can be leveraged to evaluate complex systems and inform decisions.
- Significant experience and expertise in one or more of the following areas: cyber security, intelligence analysis, energy systems, infrastructure protection, or other related discipline.
- Experience managing and/or motivating multidisciplinary teams and collaborating across disciplines and/or organizations to achieve project objectives; partnering with other laboratories and/or external organizations as necessary.
- Experience as a project coordinator and/or principal investigator of projects with competing priorities, loosely defined deliverables, and high visibility.
- Advanced verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate with internal and external teams, and advise and influence senior management and external sponsors.
- Ability to travel off-site, including potentially internationally, for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Significant experience leading the application and development in one or more of the following areas: systems analysis, risk analysis, modeling and simulation.
- Subject matter expert knowledge and significant experience as a project manager or principal investigator of projects with differing priorities, loosely defined deliverables, and high visibility.
- Experience writing research proposals and securing sponsor funding.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in engineering, physical science, computer science, related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience working with the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Energy, Intelligence Community and/or the Department of Defense.
- Experience working with or within the US Department of Energy Laboratory or other FFRDC community.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.