Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical/Project Engineer - Pulsed Power
Engineering | livermore, CA | 09/01/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical/Project Engineer's for Pulsed Power Systems. You will be responsible for the engineering and design of various pulsed power systems related to national security missions. You will provide and/or oversee mechanical engineering functions including design, analysis, fabrication and testing during deployment for new pulsed power systems and upgrades to existing hardware. Your work will also involve project management, interacting with all stakeholders to ensure successful project completion and providing leadership and mentoring to junior engineers. These positions are in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Derive complex engineering requirements, develop conceptual designs, and perform supporting analyses of mechanical systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics for pulsed power systems.
- Oversee the detailed design process, component part fabrication, and unit assembly.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Generate detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities and lead the execution of the plans.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to ensure the completion of the various projects.
- Work independently as well as a part of a multidisciplinary team including providing mentoring to junior engineers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Provide engineering solutions to resolve highly complex technical and programmatic issues in a multi-discipline environment involving either high explosive and/or advanced electrical systems.
- Select methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain results based on in-depth analysis of multiple factors.
- Implement novel solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in two or more of the following: engineering hardware design, systems engineering, manufacturing techniques, testing processes, and FEA structural and thermal analysis.
- Significant experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Significant experience using standard project management practices and proven ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Significant experience leading project teams, exhibiting a proficiency in interpersonal interactions and the ability to solve problems as they arise.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Expertise in identifying, defining, and solving complex multi-disciplinary problems with significant electric system requirements in a timely, cost effective manner.
- Subject matter expertise as a project engineer demonstrating expert leadership skills.
- Expert knowledge of engineering hardware design, fabrication, or testing processes.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Professional Engineer Certification.
- Experience with high explosive handling and testing protocols.
- Experience with pulsed power systems.
- Experience with laser operation.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.