Refine Search Clear All
Associate Program Leader for Space Hardware, Z Program
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 08/31/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Associate Program Leader (APL) for the Space Hardware (SH) Program, an existing area of programmatic work within Z Program’s Space Science and Security Program (SSSP). You will oversee the design, development, fabrication, test, and delivery of flight systems to support national security, commercial and science missions; and manage a range of activities within the portfolio concentrated on using proven capabilities for mission areas such as intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR); space situational awareness (SSA); communications; and other missions. You will have management responsibility for defining and implementing the intellectual, programmatic, and supervisory functions necessary to ensure the successful execution of the program’s research agenda and the development of a broad range of interfaces with current and potential sponsors.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Attract, execute, and retain Space Hardware (SH) projects, programs, funding, and staff, working with the SSSP Program Leader and other stakeholders across the Laboratory including management within the discipline and program directorates.
- Participate in strategic planning and develop an integrated strategy for SH actives consistent with the goals of the SSSP and Z Program, under consultative direction.
- Promote stakeholder engagement, participate in the development of government, industrial, and academic partnerships that exploit LLNL skills, expertise, and technologies and effectively manage those relationships. Work closely with U.S. Government sponsors, other organizations, and technology leaders to provide technical input, and develop and refine new concepts that support national priorities.
- Ensure appropriate quality standards for all SH Program’s activities are maintained, including reviewing, coordinating, and approving publications and presentations.
- Responsible for portfolio management under consultative direction. Set broad project vision and strategy for SH, provide supervision, guidance and technical direction to personnel working on projects within SH. Monitor workflow to achieve established goals and objectives, set by individual Principal Investigators (PIs) or Project Managers, within schedule and budget.
- Responsible for personnel management. Mentor junior technical staff to promote professional development. Conduct staff and performance management activities in collaboration with the appropriate Discipline managers, including succession planning. Provide performance feedback to the appropriate managers as input to personnel performance evaluations.
- Maintain appropriate security in a Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) environment for information and systems that are under the APL’s direct control.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Influence and interact directly with senior leaders at U.S. government agencies to develop new mission architectures and demonstration systems.
- Provide guidance and strategic vision for scientific and technical direction of projects within the Space Hardware Program. Brief work to senior management on overall impact and approach.
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers. Represent the Laboratory on external high-level scientific or technical committees.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience managing and leading multidisciplinary (scientists, engineers, and analysts) project teams effectively, including systems engineering, resource, and project management.
- Significant experience conducting research and analysis related to national security issues.
- Substantial experience with programs and projects for National Security mission applications, subject matter expert knowledge and understanding of National Security mission requirements and related issues.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective relationships with laboratory technical experts and coordinate with other U.S. government agencies. Ability to travel as necessary to meet with and present analyses to sponsors, stakeholders and counterparts.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and collaborate with other personnel in achieving project objectives.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and external sponsors, including preparing and presenting proposals and reporting results.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Expert knowledge in how national-level priorities drive investments and decision-making by funding agencies with execution and acquisition authority.
- Extensive experience managing and leading multidisciplinary (scientists, engineers, and analysts) project teams effectively, including systems engineering, resource and project management as well as demonstrated ability to motivate and collaborate with other personnel in achieving project objectives.
- Extensive experience conducting research and analysis related to national security issues, including extensive experience with Intelligence Community and Department of Defense needs and practices, including SCI security marking, intelligence oversight and compliance, and related security and safety practices.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD. in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or related field.
- Experience managing and leading multi-million dollar research and development project portfolios.
- Detailed knowledge of industrial spacecraft engineering processes, standards, and practices.
- Detailed knowledge of how U.S. government agencies evaluate and acquire new systems, preferably gained from directly supporting national security space organizations through previous military service, a long-term assignment or employment at a U.S. government agency or equivalent combination of related experiences.
- Requires subject matter expert knowledge (often recognized internally and externally) of highly advanced concepts spanning one or more science, technology, or engineering.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to re-investigation of your existing Q or Top Secret clearance. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.