Refine Search Clear All
Simulation Systems Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/30/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Conflict Simulation Laboratory (CSL) System Engineer the. You will provide a wide variety of applied system engineering solutions for production simulation systems. In addition, you will manage a suite of computer and network equipment to ensure high availability of our development and test networks;the majority of which involves Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) with some Windows support. The position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) within the Computating Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop and maintain moderately complex installation scripts for CSL simulation software that is distributed to domestic and international customers
- Perform installations, configurations, and upgrades for both hardware and software, including RHEL and CSL simulation software in accordance with CSL procedures.
- Team with users and the CSL development staff to quickly resolve problems and provide guidance on best practices, while collaborating with management and other System Administration team members to evaluate and recommend hardware, software, and process improvements with an eye toward improving the customer and team member experience.
- Operate and troubleshoot CSL simulation systems and utilities.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety knowledge.
- Write and edit technical documentation, including System Engineering manuals and training materials for dissemination to users, while providing help desk support to all customers.
- Coordinate and manage Site Survey and New Equipment & Training (NET) activities for domestic and foreign customers.
- Represent the CSL in interorganizational project efforts across LLNL and in foreign countries during Site Survey’s and NETs, traveling domestically and internationally to support training, testing, and deployment operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Anticipate, design, and develop new advanced system and network capabilities to support the efficient and effective development and maintenance of CSL software, as well as troubleshoot system and network-related problems.
- Develop and improve Dev Ops for the CSL to increase efficiency of development, testing, deployment and support of CSL simulation software.
- Lead deployment and training activities for the CSL’s System Engineering team.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer or IT related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience working with customers at all organizational levels to gather requirements and/or provide technical guidance.
- RHEL system administration and/or networking skills with experience installing, troubleshooting, repairing, and administering IT networks.
- Experience with Windows operating systems or servers , as well as experience with network security, including hardware/software encryption, firewall administration, and/or instruction detection.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with one or more of the following IT disciplines: systems administration, network administration, and/or computer security management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with cyber security processes.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, technical team environment with competing priorities, tight deadlines, and high pressure associated with operating a critical, complex system.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate with other team members and to present and explain technical information to management.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience installing, troubleshooting, repairing and administering IT networks.
- Significant experience in practically applying cybersecurity knowledge in a software production environment.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with shell scripting to support software installation.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience performing administration of systems and networks using CSL software (JCATS/JLOD).
- Knowledge of U.S. and foreign military, DOE, and/or DoD operations and application of cyber security mandates, with experience as a technical and/or team leader.
- Experience training users and customers.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.