Refine Search Clear All
Division Leader, Defense Technologies Engineering Division - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/26/2021
Job Code: TSM.2 Technical Manager 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The Engineering Directorate is seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong scientific or engineering background to lead the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) as a Division Leader (DL). DTED is an organization of approximately 500 engineers, scientists, technicians, designers, and administrative staff. DTED supports the laboratory’s nuclear weapons mission in the following areas: weapon lifecycle management, weapons design and engineering, environmental test and qualification, diagnostic design and deployment for flight and ground tests, high explosives design and analysis, weapon experiment design and fielding, advanced and exploratory weapon system development, and advanced surveillance diagnostics development.
You will report to the Associate Director of Engineering Directorate and will be a part of the Engineering Directorate’s senior management team. You will be responsible for growing core capabilities and the infrastructure necessary for the long-term health of the weapons engineering capability. Due to the matrixed character of LLNL, you will work closely with the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) program. You will also be responsible for a diverse workforce to deliver on our current commitments and innovate to tackle future threats. LLNL is committed to an excellent and diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive work culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to enable the innovation and creativity we need to ensure the success of the Laboratory and continued delivery on our missions.
In this role you will
- Provide technical and strategic leadership, and manage financial and personnel resources of the Division, integrating the technical and programmatic needs of the Engineering Directorate and the programs, and establish and manage a clear, sustainable framework to ensure the delivery of high-quality engineering to all DTED sponsors for the near- and long-term.
- Manage a Division of approximately 500 Engineers, Scientists, Associates, Technicians, Designers and Administrative staff, through technical area leads and technical managers, to achieve organization objectives and goals, and provide direction and oversight for personnel administration activities including performance reviews, performance management, appraisals, ranking, and salary management.
- Serve as a member of the Engineering Senior Management Team in formulating, implementing, and monitoring the Directorate's strategic plans. Work closely with other Division Leaders to manage workforce changes and assignments and to improve Engineering business processes. Champion and lead special projects for the Directorate.
- Be responsible for budget management activities for the Division.
- Lead the recruiting, hiring and development of engineering technical and leadership talent, outstanding innovators, and world-class researchers in support of current and projected programmatic needs.
- Oversee and provide strategic direction for the Division’s affirmative action, outreach, mentoring, and employee development efforts. Foster an environment that promotes diversity, equal opportunity, teamwork, and a professional work environment.
- Collaborate with the Chief Engineers to establish, integrate and maintain engineering standards and processes consistent with the needs of the sponsors and with the Engineering Directorate.
- Develop, execute, and communicate the vision and strategic plan for the Division. Establish direction and provide oversight of strategic R&D initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience in technical aspects of Weapons Design and Engineering.
- Broad knowledge of nuclear deterrence mission and LLNL’s Weapons and Complex Integration program.
- Broad applied knowledge and expertise in leadership, supervision, personnel management, resource planning and control skills, and significant organizational, technical, and salary administration experience.
- Expert leadership skills and success in managing a large, diverse organization comprised of engineers, technical, and administrative work force.
- Extensive experience with customer service requiring exceptional interpersonal skills in order to resolve the demands of many constituencies with diverse needs. Expert written, verbal, facilitation, organizational, and collaboration skills to effectively interact with, negotiate with, influence and advise people representing a wide variety of expertise and level of responsibility at LLNL and other government agencies and industry.
- Extensive experience leading technical initiatives in an engineering or scientific discipline.
- Extensive effective management experience, including project or program planning, budget and staffing.
- Extensive experience identifying problems that are highly unusual, complex, and/or sensitive in nature and developing innovative solutions.
- Significant experience interpreting and implementing organizational policies, procedures, and practices. Experience implementing and managing an integrated safety management program.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now