Refine Search Clear All
Project Management Lead
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 08/26/2021
Job Code: TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) Directorate has an opening for a Project Management Lead. ES&H is a multi-discipline directorate with 100+ complex and dynamic ES&H programs that we manage for the Laboratory, a $50+M budget, and ~400 employees.
As the Project Management Lead, you will be a member of the Planning and Performance Management Office (PPMO) staff reporting to the PPMO Office Leader. Your primary objective will be leading the implementation and operation of project management qualifications, tools, and processes, and you will be instrumental in ensuring the successful delivery of ES&H’s major projects. In the Project Management Lead role, you will frequently interact with the ES&H Senior Leadership Team, the ES&H SME community, programmatic customers, and other Laboratory support organizations.
In this role you will
- Act as the focal point for the ES&H directorate-wide project management process to ensure the ES&H directorate identifies, plans for, executes, controls/monitors, and closes out its key commitments and project deliverables.
- Identify and recommend changes to existing project management processes and the IT applications necessary to support an effective implementation of a project management qualification.
- Provide subject matter expertise on the project management process to ES&H staff, ensuring a standard of high-level project planning, stakeholder engagement, execution, and appropriate controlling/monitoring of major ES&H projects.
- Train and mentor ES&H managers, at various levels, and SMEs to instill a culture of project discipline across the organization, including developing detailed task breakdowns and schedules.
- Advise the PPMO Office Leader and ES&H Senior Leadership team on meaningful metrics and performance indicators for the project management process and resultant projects.
- Develop and deliver briefings to the PPMO Office Leader, and ES&H Senior Leadership Team, regarding the status of metrics and performance indicators for the projects managed by ES&H.
- Work closely with the PPMO Office Leader to align the project management functions, and in preparing briefings to the ES&H AD and Senior Leadership Team.
- Facilitate various advisory and working group meetings/committees related to project management to drive cultural change within the ES&H Directorate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, physical science, ES&H, or other related technical field, or equivalent combination of education and related technical experience.
- Significant technical leadership experience which required interactions with senior management and external regulatory organizations.
- Experience leading complex, high-value technical projects and, experience leading in situations without formal authority, resolving complex problems and developing, planning and coordinating solutions.
- Broad experience applying project management principles and problem-solving, conflict resolution, persuasion, negotiation, and consensus-building skills and independent judgement to ensure milestones and deliverables are met.
- Ability to work and lead a team under multiple complex and tight deadlines. Experience managing with a strategic focus, typically through Technical Staff Leaders to lead and achieve objectives.
- Skilled in generating, and maintaining, successful and effective working relationships with a broad cross-section of management, technical, and administrative personnel.
- Extensive experience leading change and mentoring various levels of staff, including technicians, engineers, and managers through the project management process.
- Advanced verbal and written communication, facilitation, collaboration, and presentation skills required to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and external regulators.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.