Refine Search Clear All
Graphics and Web Designer
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 08/19/2021
Job Code: G02.2 Graphic Artist 2 / G02.3 Graphic Artist 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The Technical Information Department has an opening for a Graphics and Web Designer. We are looking for exceptionally talented, creative, and strategic designers with relevant professional experience and solid skills and talent in print, web, and graphics production. In this role, you will use your creative talents to create publications, brochures, posters, illustrations, logos and branding, web and video content, and dynamic presentations for technical and non-technical audiences. This position will support communications initiatives in two business units, the Engineering Directorate and the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate. These organizations comprise nearly 4000 employees working on diverse science and technology efforts that support the nation's security and advance fundamental science.
In this role you will…
- Apply originality to produce and design multimedia projects using a variety of computer software and tools for print and web; meet standards for quality of work while maintaining design style and standards throughout web and graphics projects.
- Interpret highly complex technical information and translate into clear, accurate, relevant, and compelling products appropriate to the targeted audience(s) and into various forms of easily understandable communications with an emphasis on developing impactful presentations and visual effectiveness.
- Collaborate and interact with all levels of administrative, management, and scientific staff, including other team members and clients to understand, define, develop, and establish objectives to meet the design requirements for complex web and graphic design projects.
- Provide consultation to customers and carry out production assignments on web, print, multimedia and/or presentation projects.
- Contribute to the evaluation and implementation of new tools, technologies, concepts, and processes as they apply to web and multimedia design; help develop metrics and process improvement methods; recommend appropriate media/display styles for content, test electronic materials on appropriate platforms and with appropriate software, and determine website user interface for complex, multilayered sites.
- Plan, direct and coordinate production decisions on print, web, multimedia and/or presentation projects, including guidelines, techniques or procedures; oversee projects from conceptualization to completion, coordinate work with other team members; choose appropriate work methods, and partner with communications manager to estimate time and cost and set work priorities and production schedules.
- Solve complex problems and function as a design lead on projects, providing direction and guidance, demonstrating methods and procedures, performing ongoing quality control checks, making routine commitments related to assignments, and interpreting guidelines and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition, at the .3 level...
- Provide consultation to customers to conceptualize complex projects, understand timing, budget, production requirements and intended outcomes for the most sensitive and critical projects; works directly with authors, subject matter experts and large project groups to understand visual communication needs and highly complex content.
- Evaluate progress of projects and results achieved and recommend major changes to achieve overall objectives.
- Work with management to establish the technical/creative direction for visual communication, through researching, testing and presenting alternative approaches, methods and tools for management consideration.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Multimedia, Web Design, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience in web and graphic design or related field.
- Ability to conceptualize and effectively design, plan, direct, and coordinate production of web and multimedia design projects, including experience in establishing and maintaining design integrity throughout all media, publications and campaigns.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with design methods and software programs, including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, XD, Dreamweaver) for print and digital production.
- Understanding of Internet browser formats as they related to web design. Advanced understanding of emerging web and design technologies.
- In-depth technical knowledge of UI/UX design .and development in a content management system, such as WordPress, Drupal, or LifeRay. Experience in applying UX principles to web front-end design, with proficiency in HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, and Sketch or Adobe XD.
- Knowledge of web accessibility standards, including W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Revised 508 Standards.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team and delegate work to other team members as appropriate, including excellent written and verbal communication skills, experience with mentoring and training.
- Problem solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently recommend appropriate actions and solutions.
- Experience leading large web, print production and multimedia projects; and experience establishing production team commitments of cost, schedule, and quality for communication projects. Ability to balance creative expertise with customer objectives and requirements.
- Self-starter, comfortable multitasking with ability to work to deadlines and respond to tight, shifting schedules, including ability to work both independently and with a team environment.
In addition, at the .3 level…
- Significant experience leading large web, print production, and multimedia projects that are highly sensitive and critical in nature; experience establishing production team commitments of cost, schedule, and quality for communication projects.
- Experience effectively managing other professionals and working as a peer and consultant with technical contributors and management.
- Experience serving as a visual communication technologist who regularly seeks new technology solutions to improve communications effectiveness and ensure that the organization is knowledgeable of the most up-to-date and appropriate tools.
Qualifications We Desire…
- Experience in photography, video editing, and/or technical illustration.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.