Refine Search Clear All
Full Stack Software Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/11/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an experienced software engineer to design, develop and support Identity Management and Federated Authentication solutions using leading edge technologies in support of the OneID program and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. This position is in the IDaaS and DevOps group within the Information Technology Solutions division within the Computing Directorate in support of the LivIT program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced software application engineering and maintenance for all phases of the software development lifecycle, including analysis, design, implementation, and support.
- Generate functional requirements, develop architectural design documentation, provide status for project tracking activities, and prototype where appropriate.
- Deploy software following an agile design methodology to be secure, free of vulnerabilities, and componentized for ease of maintenance.
- Provide in-depth analysis and innovative methods to enhance and extend the product services to a broad customer base that includes government, industry, and citizens.
- Develop technical artifacts to support proposals, architecture, and application code base.
- Provide knowledge sharing with team members and/or mentoring in application design and business processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Lead complex system and process analysis efforts to provide original solutions to customers’ complex problems.
- Lead highly advanced analysis and implementation projects.
- Architect and develop cloud-based identity and access management solutions.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer or engineering related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Proficiency with Java EE development.
- Broad technical experience with relational database management systems (e.g., Oracle, MySQL).
- Experience developing cloud native or containerized software (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes).
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities, approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and ability to change focus when necessary.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Provide highly advanced computer programming and/or related technical support.
- Significant experience with software quality assurance methodologies, including software system testing activities.
- Significant experience with cloud application hosting and security architectures.
Qualifications We Desire
- Significant experience with cloud application hosting and security architecture, including cloud native deployments (e.g., Kubernetes), AWS and/or Azure services, Ansible.
- Experience with Federated Authentication / Identity Management (IdP, SP, SCIM) and authentication protocols (SAML 2.0, OpenID Connect, OAuth 2.0).
- Experience with Play Framework, Angular, Bootstrap, HTML5, RESTful Web Services, Apache Kafka.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.