Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist - Mid/Senior
Engineering | tracy, CA | 08/10/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Sr Mechanical Technologist at LLNL’s Site 300 Flash X-Ray (FXR) Accelerator. The selected candidate will provide technical design, fabrication, and testing of accelerator high vacuum and power conditioning systems, performing routine maintenance and troubleshooting as necessary on accelerator support equipment. You will also participate in R&D and prototyping activities in support of the development of new and advanced radiographic capabilities at the FXR facility. Some travel may be required. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) supporting the Accelerator Group within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and technical staff to provide general technical support to various programmatic tasks.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, and upgrades to the FXR Accelerator support equipment including high vacuum, SF6, dry air, de-ionized water, and oil conditioning systems.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems following work control and procedure requirements including High Vacuum Systems, and in addition, perform vacuum leak checking using leak detection equipment.
- Operate of hand/power tools, lathes, mills, and welding equipment supporting fabrication of hardware for the FXR.
- Apply knowledge of material and manufacturing processes in solving mechanical problems.
- Maintain system documentation and experimental records.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures in the course of completing job assignments and ensure that support and experimental areas are kept clean, uncluttered, and in a state of readiness.
- Perform work from drawings and verbal/written instructions to assemble and test various mechanical designs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Work independently from drawings and verbal/written instructions to assemble and test various mechanical designs and provide advanced technical assembly and disassembly support of complex FXR systems, directing others to ensure work is conducted in an efficient and safe manner.
- Participate in project, facility, and experimental design reviews, applying good engineering and scientific principles, and suggesting solutions and alternate approaches to complex mechanical problems using independent creativity and judgment.
- Author operational procedures and technical documents, and propose improvements to safety, security, and efficiency.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, and drawings with knowledge of ASME Y14.5.
- Intermediate knowledge of engineering hardware design and testing processes.
- Experience in general machining processes with the ability to operate hand/power tools, lathes, mills, and welding equipment.
- Effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, including presentation skills, and ability to work effectively with all levels of management, technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
- Ability to work constructively in a multi-disciplinary team environment, working overtime, shift work and/or weekends, as necessary.
- Knowledge of office computer software, operating systems, and word processing spreadsheet, database, and computer aided drafting/design software.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Advanced understanding of machine tool technology with experience using high level precision metrology tooling, micrometers, and digital height gages.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex technical problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to train others and provide technical direction to team members.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with and/or around high-voltage and high-current equipment.
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control documentation skills used in an engineering environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
Employee Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed through the following link.