Refine Search Clear All
National Security Systems Analyst - Experienced
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/05/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We are seeking highly qualified scientists and engineers to join our interdisciplinary team of National Security Systems Analysts supporting a variety of application areas such as Cyber Security, Critical Infrastructure Resilience, Intelligence Analysis, Energy Systems and Climate Resilience. You will lead efforts that apply a combination of technical depth and breadth, critical thinking, modeling and simulation, and analysis to understand complex, multi-domain problem areas and provide decision insight, communicate options and trade-offs, and facilitate the integration of new technology in support of customer missions. National Security Systems Analysts often serve to integrate across research and development teams and work directly with operational organizations. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide solutions to complex problems requiring advanced analysis and the creative use of innovative methods by collaborating with scientists and researchers across a variety of technical disciplines.
- Lead teams to create analytical frameworks and evaluate competing characteristics to determine solutions that most effectively meet customer and stakeholder objectives.
- Provide decision insight to stakeholders in complex problem areas.
- Develop, evaluate, and apply physical and computational simulation to gain insight into complex systems.
- Provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors and the creative use of established methods; collaborate in the development of innovative methods.
- Lead LLNL scientists and engineers to bring research results to practical use in LLNL national security programs.
- Communicate complex technical concepts to stakeholders in a concise effective way.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 level
- Lead and manage supporting personnel who conduct analysis under your direct supervision.
- Lead and develop teams to conduct and support technology demonstrations and/or analytical products.
- Develop new work with Federal, State, and commercial sponsors and partners in these areas.
- PhD degree in engineering (mechanical, electrical, industrial, or civil), computer sciences (data or information science), operations research, related fields or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: cyber security, intelligence analysis, energy systems, infrastructure protection, or other related discipline.
- Expertise with one or more of the following programming tools: Python, Simulink, R, MATLAB, Java or C++
- Experience with one or more of the following computational disciplines: risk analysis, data analytics, statistical modeling, or control system design
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Proficient verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and communicate technical information, document work, and lead the creation of proposals and high-quality research papers.
- Ability to travel off-site for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 Level
- Significant experience managing projects and teams.
- Significant experience effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and implement advanced research concepts in a multi-disciplinary team environment where commitments and deadlines are important to project success.
- Significant experience collaborating across research (university, laboratory) and commercial (industry) institutions.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Energy, Intelligence Community and/or the Department of Defense.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now