Refine Search Clear All
Flight Performance Analyst
Engineering | livermore, CA | 07/27/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for a Flight Performance Analyst to help tackle complex problems related to systems in the hypersonic flight regime. You will be involved in one or more of the following activities to support enduring and future weapons systems; modeling and simulation, structural dynamics and thermal-structural analysis, reduced order modeling (ROM), and Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC). These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Analyze ballistic aerospace systems during the hypersonic reentry flight environment.
- Develop flight simulation and thermal-structural models of the systems, conduct flight simulation and finite element analyses (FEA); document and present the results.
- Create surrogate models of the aerothermal loading, structural dynamics, and thermal response for use in flight simulation and finite-element analyses.
- Support ground and flight test experiments with computational analysis and data analysis.
- Develop and maintain computational model documentation, verification, and validation activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Contribute to the development of new flight performance predictive capabilities by identifying areas of improvement and future research required for analysis tasks.
- Facilitate the use of in-house flight analysis capabilities by internal customers; provide guidance, documentation, and technical expertise to these customers.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge in one of flight dynamics, structural dynamics, aerodynamics, heat transfer, or ablation.
- Experience with engineering analysis using high-fidelity fluid, thermal, structural, or multi-physics codes.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team with effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Programming experience, especially in a scripting language such as Python.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, document analyses, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to travel, as necessary.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Master’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge and experience analyzing high-speed flight vehicles, multi-physics analysis, or missile trajectory analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with trajectory analysis or flight simulation software such as TAOS, OTIS, POST2, or AFSIM.
- Experience with structural finite element software such as Ansys, Abaqus, Sierra, LS-DYNA, Dyna3D, Diablo, Thermal Desktop.
- Experience with CFD codes such as US3D, FUN3D, CART3D, CBAERO, or ATAC.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.