Refine Search Clear All
Program Manager, Center for Global Security Research
Faculty | livermore, CA | 07/26/2021
Job Code: TSM.1 Technical Manager 1
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Program Manager, Center for Global Security Research (CGSR) in the laboratory’s Director’s Office. The Program Manager will contribute substantively to the CGSR analytical agenda, manage the center’s research associate (RA) and short-term fellowship programs, aid in the development of an overall CGSR research and publication agenda, and support CGSR leadership efforts to strengthen partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders. More information on CGSR and its activities can be found at: https://cgsr.llnl.gov/
In this role you will
- Conduct independent and substantive research on topics agreed with the CGSR Director.
- Conceive, plan, and implement supporting programmatic activities, including workshops and publications.
- Recruit, screen, and oversee the hiring process of CGSR research associates throughout the year.
- Support LLNL DEI objectives by actively identifying and recruiting candidates from underrepresented communities.
- Serve as lead manager, payroll supervisor and mentor for research associates during the period of their employment.
- Assist in the identification of substantive mentors and contacts for CGSR personnel.
- In coordination with CGSR director and deputy director, develop a research agenda for research associates that furthers CGSR’s overall objectives.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with academic institutions to drive awareness of CGSR research associate opportunities.
- Support the CGSR director in working with the PADs to identify candidates for the short-term fellows program, facilitate the integration of short-term fellows into CGSR activities, and assist those fellows in accomplishing their research and publication goals.
- Manage the center’s publications program.
- Manage and coordinate the timely conclusion of draft materials for the publications program. Provide counsel to CGSR management, staff, fellows, and RAs on Information Management requirements and process.
- Serve as CGSR primary derivative classification reviewer for all center products. Develop and maintain productive relationship with other laboratory DCs for assistance for topics outside of expertise and maintain productive relationship with OCEC.
- Serve as primary point of contact with TID through production process and support efforts to ensure dissemination and discussion of CGSR products.
- Support CGSR leadership in efforts to develop the Center’s analytical content, strengthen cooperation with other organization in the laboratory, strengthen cooperation with key external partners and model laboratory values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship <insert appropriate clearance level or delete statement, as applicable>
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific or engineering field, or a discipline such as Political Science, International Relations, Government Relations, the Physical Sciences
- Significant team leader experience, working strategically at the programmatic and executive levels with proven strong interpersonal and administrative skills
- Significant experience with the CGSR mission or core research areas, with in-depth knowledge of LLNL, National Nuclear Security Administration or similar role at a national laboratory, university or in industry
- Experience building positive working networks with U.S. and international individuals and organizations
- Expert verbal and written communication and collaboration skills necessary to explain, present, direct, negotiate, influence, and coordinate technical and programmatic activities over a wide range of topic areas with senior managers and staff internal and external to LLNL
- Expert technical and organizational problem-solving, decision-making, and leadership skills and judgment necessary to advise, counsel, recommend, and develop solutions on a wide variety of management level technical and programmatic issues
Qualifications We Desire
- Masters’ in Political Science, International Relations, Government Relations, the Physical Sciences or related fields or an equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge
- Knowledge of, and experience with, the DOE National Laboratory system customer/sponsor requirements
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.