Refine Search Clear All
Information Systems Security Engineer (ISSE)
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 07/21/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Information Systems Security Engineer to provide advanced cyber security support to a variety of LLNL, DOE, and customer missions. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division supporting the Customer Service, Operations & Support (CSOS) Cyber Security Program within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Assess and mitigate system security threats and risks.
- Perform and analyze security audits for nonstandard events to ensure security posture integrity.
- Aid in the design and architecting of systems in compliance with cyber security requirements and programmatic needs.
- Assess and quantify cyber security risks and take appropriate actions, including analyzing, interpreting, and applying cyber security processes, procedures, and policies for efficiency, accuracy, and compliance with Federal requirements.
- Develop and manage continuous monitoring projects and tasks. Collaborate with other LLNL organizations to ensure consistency between continuous monitoring tools and projects.
- Design and execute project plans, meetings, metric gathering, and analyze data, to report results, which includes researching, analyzing, and recommending risk strategies for cyber-related projects.
- Provide guidance to customers on policies, requirements, information resources, and development of a common solution. Coordinate and lead working groups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Provide advanced technical assistance, training, and/or mentoring to others in area of cyber security.
- Collaborate in the development of new processes and serve as a primary technical point of contact with stakeholders.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Cyber Security, Information Assurance or in a related field or equivalent combination of education and technical training in a security discipline(s) and related experience.
- Broad experience assessing and quantifying cyber security risks, utilizing analytical and research skills effectively to develop solutions.
- Comprehensive analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate, negotiate and influence all levels of personnel.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate in a team environment and document, present and explain technical information.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with conflicting priorities, to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to change focus, when necessary, with experience working independently.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of and technical expertise with cyber-related tools for continuous monitoring such as Splunk, STIG/SCAP, and Tenable.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Significant experience in computer and network technologies and knowledge of cyber security requirements.
- Experience leading and conducting internal audits, participating in Government assessments and inspections, investigating and mitigating areas of risk or non-compliance.
- Expert knowledge of multiple cybersecurity disciplines including network/protocol analysis, intrusion detection, cryptography, reverse engineering, incident response, malware analysis, and/or secure architectures.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now