Refine Search Clear All
Shot Director for Laser and Experimental Systems
Engineering | livermore, CA | 07/21/2021
Job Code: TSL.3 Technical Services & Ops TSL 3 / TSL.4 Technical Services & Ops TSL 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a National Ignition Facility (NIF) Shot Director. You will join a team of Shot Directors who are responsible for directing and coordinating the 24/7 operations of the integrated laser and experimental systems of the National Ignition Facility. You will be responsible for the successful execution of complex target experiments in the NIF, as well as for ensuring that all activities conducted by Operations and experimental personnel, including operators, technicians, scientists, and engineers, are performed safely in accordance with NIF’s Integrated Safety program. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced technical coordination, leadership, and supervision of the operations of large-scale, complex, integrated systems critical to the successful execution of scientific experiments on NIF.
- Provide technical mentorship, leadership, and supervision to the Lead Operator and Control Room personnel during operation of the laser and experimental systems.
- Collaborate with and provide technical leadership to a multi-disciplinary team of experimental support personnel including scientists, engineers, operators, and technicians.
- Contribute to experimental campaign planning and scheduling; communicate facility and experimental plans to the Control Room operators and staff.
- Contribute to leading computer controls design and production organization to continuously improve the control system software; this includes participation in design reviews and change review board activities for proposed additions or changes to facility hardware and software.
- Provide leadership that supports 24 hour per day, 7 day per week operations, working various shifts as required; perform responsibilities of the Facility Point of Contact and Emergency Manager during off shifts.
- Lead the coordination of resources for facility maintenance, installation, and construction activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSL.4 level
- Provide solutions to highly complex issues/problems where a high degree of ambiguity exists around techniques and approaches. Solutions require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors.
- Under consultative direction, evaluates Control Room performance with quantifiable metrics and proposes improvements to enhance efficiency and productivity. Provide expert level guidance to NIF operations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience and ability to lead independent work.
- Advanced knowledge in science or engineering as it relates to implementation of integrated, complex, and largescale systems.
- Significant experience in the management of operations for large and complex technical systems operated by multidisciplinary teams.
- Significant experience managing and executing an integrated safety management system.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to manage personnel conflicts and maintain high morale in a demanding and dynamic environment.
- Experience leading a team and/or group effectively in a fast-paced, high pressure, complex, multidisciplinary team environment, working across organizational boundaries.
- Leadership skills for leading and managing multidisciplinary teams of 10 or more employees.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate and lead in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management, personnel, and stakeholders.
Additional qualifications at the TSL.4 level
- Extensive experience and/or training leading the operation of a large complex scientific facility.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and vendors.
- Highly advanced knowledge of laser physics, large laser systems, electro-optics, large optical systems, laser alignment and diagnostics.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Science, Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- In-depth knowledge of DOE, sponsors, Lab management and structures.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.