Refine Search Clear All
Shift Lead- Optics Processing Facility
Engineering | livermore, CA | 07/21/2021
Job Code: 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Optics Processing Shift Leads to support the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will work with managers and top-level technical personnel to provide advanced technical support for the flow of optics and optical components through the Optics Processing Facility (OPF) over a given work shift. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced technical support and lead the workflow of parts through the OPF.
- Troubleshoot and repair complex electro-mechnanical systems, perform optics handling, and optical component metrology and assembly.
- Solve complex technical problems and report results independently, under
- Provide technical advice and direction to oversee the work of processing technicians on your shift.
- Train new employees as needed.
- Work with optics production management, process engineers, engineering and maintenance personnel to resolve production-related issues involving comprehensive troubleshooting and providing recommendations.
- Create work orders for optics and optical assemblies.
- Write problem logs for equipment or process issues.
- Create Non-Conformance Reports (NCRs) for parts that do not meet requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in mechanical or electrical engineering technology, technical management, or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced troubleshooting and repair skills for complex electro-mechanical systems.
- Significant experience with optics handling and optical component metrology and assembly.
- Experience providing technical direction to others in laboratory and operations settings.
- Ability to direct teams to complete specific projects or resolve technical problems in a safe and secure manner.
- Effective verbal and written communication, presentation, and feedback skills in multiple technical areas.
Qualifications We Desire
- Highly organized, reliable, and dependable with an ability to manage a variety of activities concurrently.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.