Refine Search Clear All
Lead Payroll Benefits Accountant
Finance & Accounting | livermore, CA | 07/21/2021
Job Code: C02.4 Accountant 4
Organization: Chief Financial Officer
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Lead Payroll Benefits Accountant position to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment. You will be responsible for managing the Benefits Accounting Team within the Payroll Department. Responsibilities will include directing benefits accounting operations, evaluating and enhancing processes and internal controls, and ensuring robust reporting, reconciliation, and analysis of benefits accounting accounts and transactions. This position is in the Disbursement and Accounting Services Division of the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) Organization.
In this role you will
- Serve as a key member and benefits accounting subject matter expert, provide strategic leadership, direction, and oversight to the Benefits Accounting Team to assure services are appropriately aligned to meet customer needs and comply with the provisions of Contract 44, Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), applicable California State and Federal regulations, policies and procedures.
- Supervise an exempt staff, providing leadership and day-to-day work direction; formulate Benefits Accounting Team goals, objectives and strategies for specific programs, activities and projects; interviewing, hiring, training, and managing the Integrated Performance and Pay Program for the Benefits Accounting Team.
- Direct and oversee all activities associated with the benefits accounting function, performance measure reporting, and business process reporting, providing guidance, advice, and consultation on related matters. Direct self-assessment programs and internal controls in the Payroll function.
- Independently analyze, reconcile and interpret complex benefits and payroll accounting data, balance sheet accounts and bank statements associated with Health & Welfare vendors. Interpret and implement applicable benefit/financial/budgetary policies and procedures.
- Work with Human Resources and benefit vendors regarding benefit plans, systems and/or payment methods when changes are needed.
- Identify and oversee special long-term projects requiring the development of unique solutions to problems of unusual complexity, recommend and implement course of action for the benefits accounting function.
- Develop, recommend, and oversee implementation of solutions to highly complex problems related to benefits accounting issues. Identify, define, and implement institutional business rules and financial practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance or related field plus substantial experience, or equivalent education, training, and experience in payroll/benefits accounting.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience in payroll and benefits accounting, PeopleSoft and/or Oracle Payroll or similar Payroll products, processes, procedures, and systems.
- Extensive experience using complex financial management systems, techniques, and methods. Extensive experience defining system user requirements, writing test plans, performing system testing and documentation, developing solutions to problems of unusual complexity, and recommending and implementing course of action. Proven ability to meet critical, time-urgent deadlines.
- Extensive effective experience leading, managing, or supervising a diverse group of professionals and non-exempt staff. Advanced organizational, leadership, and team-building skills to effectively build and lead a diverse work group to achieve organizational and Laboratory goals and objectives. Proven ability to accomplish objectives in a self-directed manner.
- Expertise using interpersonal skills to effectively explain, negotiate, persuade and build consensus among diverse stakeholders and the ability to establish effective working relationships with all levels of personnel, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Expert level experience in use of computers and a thorough working knowledge of associated software applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Expert ability to research, interpret, and apply financial policies and procedures. Extensive experience making effective and timely decisions on a frequent basis, with high consequence of error and impact, crossing a wide spectrum of topics and experience managing multiple, complex projects and goals, as well as team, departmental, organizational, institutional, and customer objectives.
- Extensive experience with advanced problem solving, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently advise, recommend, and resolve highly complex problems requiring mature judgment, discretion, and tact, and an ability to negotiate desirable outcomes and affect policy change. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively explain, present, direct, negotiate, influence, and provide expert payroll advice to employees at all levels.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Finance/Accounting, or Business Administration or a related field plus extensive experience or the equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Previous experience leading a benefits accounting and/or payroll team.
- Experience with LLNL financial/accounting, payroll, and time keeping systems.
- Experience with LLNL, DOE/NNSA, and UC financial policies and procedures.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.