Refine Search Clear All
High-Hazard Facility Safety Manager - Active Security Clearance Required
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 07/19/2021
Job Code: TSL.3 Technical Services & Ops TSL 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The Superblock has an opening for a Facility Safety Manager (FSM). As the FSM you will lead a team of Facility Safety Officers in the Superblock to provide high level technical support, collaborate in the Nuclear Materials Technology Program (NMTP) Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) Program, and ensure regulatory and compliance obligations are met. You will serve as a catalyst for the execution of NMTP’s Integrated Safety Management program through eﬀective work with NMTP managers, researchers, operations personnel, and ES&H support organizations. This position is in the Weapons and Complex Integration Directorate.
In this role you will
- Managing facility personnel responsible for safety and work oversight, documentation, policies, and procedures (e.g., Facility Safety Officers and administrative support staff) on a day-to-day basis.
- Working closely with Superblock Facility Managers and the ES&H Integrated Safety Team Leader to provide oversite and resolution of day-to-day ES&H issues.
- Assuring that facility activities and operations comply with the requirements in the Superblock Documented Safety Analyses, Technical Safety Requirements, Facility Safety Plans, Operational Safety Plans (OSPs), and other facility safety documents. Coordinate the semi-annual Safety and Security Briefing, interact and coordinate with the Emergency Management Department for the development and execution of annual facility-wide drills and exercises.
- Advising Superblock Facility Managers, the Superblock Facility Users Manager, and the WCI Assurance Managers on all aspects related to the safe and compliant execution of work.
- In the absence of the Facility Manager, acting as the primary contact for emergency response to events involving the workforce.
- Interacting with representatives from NNSA-LFO and responding to facility issues identified.
- Coordinating development of OSPs and assuring programmatic implementation.
- Analyzing and interpreting complex data, identifying problems, and providing original solutions to ensure safety plan adherence and the maintenance of a safe working environment. This includes reviewing Response Action Forms (RAFs) and Facility Event Reports (FERs) to determine root cause(s), trends, and if applicable, the relationship to other activities in facilities.
- Leading Management Assessment teams in support of startup activities, including compliance with safety controls.
- Collaborating with Superblock Facility Managers, the Superblock Operations Manager, and Training to develop, implement, and execute safety related programs, including safety briefings.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in an occupational or environmental safety and health or related field or equivalent combination of education with extensive related experience.
- Significant technical knowledge of and experience working in a nuclear facility, nuclear reactor, chemical, high hazard, (e.g., explosive), radiological operations, or similarly complex or highly regulated facility with administrative, ES&H, technical lead and/or supervisory authority and responsibilities.
- Advanced technical expertise and experience planning the integration and implementation of new programs and/or operational best practices; lead and develop innovative principles, theories, and concepts.
- Significant experience exercising a high degree of maturity, discretion, and judgment with high programmatic and high safety related consequence of error. Experience in interpreting and implementing high-hazard facility policies and practices.
- Advanced written, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills, specifically the ability to explain and present highly complex ideas as well as to influence employees and all levels of management and work eﬀectively in a collaborative work environment with advanced organizational skills and attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through.
- Ability to obtain Sr. Certified or Certified Fissile Material Handler Certification including respirator certification/qualification.
- Demonstrated experience providing direction to a large diverse workforce with proven ability to proactively maintain a strong safety culture and ensuring safe operations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Significant experience managing and executing Integrated Safety Management, Lock-Out/Tag-Out (LOTO) and Work Planning & Control.
- Significant knowledge of and experience working with Documented Safety Analyses, Technical Safety Requirements, Facility Safety Plans, Operational Safety Plans, and work control documentation.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now