Refine Search Clear All
Joining Group Supervisor
Engineering | livermore, CA | 07/19/2021
Job Code: 390.1 Supervisor
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Supervisor/Engineering Associate to supervise exempt and non-exempt technicians and technologists in the Joining, Characterization and Metal Processing laboratories in the Materials Engineering Division. You will be responsible for the organization and cost-effective utilization of the work force, equipment, and materials, and for personnel actions involving direct reports, i.e., selection, training, performance evaluations, salary recommendations, promotions, and corrective actions. In the technical role, you will be responsible for solving technical and logistical issues related with the operations of these labs. This position is in the Materials & Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE) Section of the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
In this role, you will:
- Provide daily technical leadership and supervision of the work center/teams including work planning, setting priorities, assigning daily work assignments, writing performance appraisals, career development, training, salary, ranking, promotion recommendations, and disciplinary issues. Work with the Group Leaders, Section Leader (SL) and Division Superintendent to generate job postings and be the hiring manager for the work center’s ongoing staffing needs.
- Provide recommendations to the SL and Division management regarding new equipment, maintenance budgets and infrastructure for joining, characterization and metal processing laboratories within the Materials Section.
- Work closely with SL and Division Supervisors to provide input on the service center financial model. This will include but is not limited to: manage the work center recharge budget, long term planning, budgeting, and financial projections.
- Provide safety oversight as the work control Responsible Individual (RI) for some of the Joining, Characterization and Metal Processing Laboratories in the Materials Section.
- Interface closely with LLNL program managers, technical contacts, project engineers, and scientists with frequent technical interactions outside of the work unit and at times external to LLNL.
- Interact with Facility Managers and other support organizations to ensure that mission critical operations and facility needs are met.
- Analyze and interpret complex-to-highly complex administrative, technical information and project objectives and translate them into job requirements and concepts, implementing solutions and alternate approaches to solve complex-to-highly complex problems.
- Interface with other MED and/or Engineering capabilities to provide broad, integrated engineering and materials solutions to best serve programmatic and institutional needs.
- Make decisions using a significant degree of independent discretion and judgment and resolve multi-project/program requirements through negotiations.
- Participate in the planning efforts for the new Joining and Vacuum Processing AME building and support relocation of critical equipment and infrastructure into the renovated Metals Processing facility in B321A. Develop longer term plan and strategies to enhance/modernize the capabilities within those buildings.
- Apply technical expertise to support programmatic efforts for 40-60% time.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Possess experience from a technical and logistical perspective to effectively manage and direct joining, characterization, and metal processing operations.
- Experience balancing workload assignments, and anticipating programmatic/work needs.
- Advanced administrative and organizational skills including the use of computers and software such as MS-Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and similar applications.
- Experience effectively working with and leading a multidisciplinary team with a commitment to engineering and technical excellence, customer service, quality, efficiency, cost, and schedule.
- Experience exercising sound judgment in high-consequence safety environment, solving complex-to-highly complex problems in a multi-tasked environment with minimal instruction and supervision.
- Highly advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Extensive experience managing laboratory equipment, facilities and staff with large technical scope; including but not limited to joining, characterization and metal processing technologies.
- Highly advanced written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills in multiple technical areas.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with welding, brazing, metallurgical processes, materials characterization, technologies.
- Possess a high level of expertise in vacuum system design, fabrication, and operation.
- Experience working with and handling radioactive materials and systems to handle and process radioactive components.
- Experience with proper handling and storage of classified documents, and hardware components, and data.
- Experience in designing fixturing and using 3D design software.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.