Refine Search Clear All
Cloud Processes Research and Modeling - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 07/16/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research on aerosol-cloud interactions in liquid-phase clouds. The prospective candidate will work with a team of scientists to qualify the aerosol indirect effect on liquid-phase clouds using observations from the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Program, satellite retrievals and numerical simulations. This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth & Energy Division of the Physical Life Sciences Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct creative and independent research to better detect the aerosol indirect effect on liquid-phase clouds.
- Process and analyze observational and model datasets relevant to aerosol-cloud interactions in liquid-phase clouds.
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Pursue independent research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in atmospheric science, engineering, physics, or a closely related discipline.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: aerosol-cloud interactions, cloud microphysics, atmospheric boundary layer, aerosol science, atmospheric field data analysis, and satellite data analysis.
- Proficient in at least one scientific programming language for modeling and climate data analysis (e.g., Python, Fortran, C++).
- Experience with large model and observational datasets, modern programming environments, and visualization techniques.
- Effective ability to collaborate with a team of scientists of diverse backgrounds and ability to travel to coordinate research with collaborators.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as evidenced by published results and presentations.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with data science, machine learning, uncertainty quantification, ensembles, and/or statistical analysis.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.