Refine Search Clear All
Materials Lead for W87-1, Program Leader - Active Security Clearance Required
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 07/15/2021
Job Code: SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Materials Leader to work with PLS, WTE, WPD and WCI leadership to coordinate and guide LLNL’s materials insertion efforts for the W87-1 Modernization program. You will work with programmatic and line management to oversee the materials maturation, manufacturing, and aging and compatibility for the W87-1 program while building and strengthening connections and collaborations with production agencies. This position is in the Materials Science Division, and reports to the Associate Program Leader for Materials, Manufacturing and Diagnostics and to the LLNL W87-1 Program Manager.
In this role you will
- Oversee and track execution of W87-1 funded technical work in the area of materials chemistry and material science.
- With W87-1 program leadership communicate progress in technical work with stakeholders.
- Provide scientific and programmatic leadership in materials science and engineering, chemistry, and physical science to the W87-1 program and their Product Realization Teams.
- Work with WCI program leadership and Program Directors to align and strengthen capabilities to ensure strong support of programs and deliverables.
- Coordinate and partner with other NNSA research and development portfolio managers to effectively realize material insertion opportunities.
- Create and sustain a collaborative culture to enable effective partnerships to advance the W87-1 program
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
- PhD in condensed matter physics, chemistry, material science, metallurgical sciences, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert level experience in applying chemistry and material science expertise to NNSA Stockpile Stewardship programs; with prior experience with a life extension program desirable
- Expert level experience balancing complex, overlapping, and competing priorities.
- Significant experience in planning, budgeting, and executing large, multisite development effort with demonstrated experience in Earned Value Management and Risk Management.
- Significant experience creating and sustaining collaborations with distributed partners.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills, specifically the ability to explain and present highly complex ideas, as well as to communicate effectively with subordinates, peers, and leadership at multiple levels.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.