Refine Search Clear All
System Engineer - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 07/13/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an experienced Systems Engineer. You will support the Space Security and Science Program in the Z Program in Global Security (GS). You will provide engineering solutions with a focus on space and satellite projects in the areas of kinetic energy, lasers, RF, and optical and work with sponsors that include: NASA, Department of Energy (DOE), Department of Defense (DOD), and other government agencies. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, develop, and integrate a broad range of operational, system, and component level functional models to inform the following system engineering activities: operational, requirements, and functional analysis; interface identification and definition; system synthesis; system performance analysis.
- Develop complex designs and apply advanced principles to a wide variety of hardware design and analysis projects.
- Apply advanced system engineering processes to define requirements, manage risk, analyze design failures to determine cause and recommend corrective action.
- Evaluate alternative designs from engineering and economic perspectives and present the results at design reviews independently, under minimal direction.
- Research novel approaches to develop operational, system, and component level models as needed to execute an integrated engineering risk reduction program.
- Develop cost models and cost/budget analysis, project schedules including resource loading/leveling, system maintainability and operations models.
- Coordinate project interfaces and deployment, interfacing with other organizations internal and external to LLNL.
- Collaborate within a team of scientists, engineers, designers, technicians, coordinators, and procurement personnel to achieve project goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Serve as a subject matter expert and apply advanced engineering solutions and technical analysis to resolve highly complex technical and programmatic issues.
- Develop innovative methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain results based on in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors.
- Set broad research/project vision and provide technical direction to small teams and work as a primary technical contact on multidisciplinary teams.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering, System Engineering, Chemical Engineering or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with system engineering practices, including formally managing requirements and leading independent studies on complex problems.
- Significant experience in prototype development and testing as well as hardware design and analysis.
- Ability to devise solutions for complex problems that require in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors independently, under minimal direction.
- Ability, flexibility and initiative to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Experience working as a member of a multidisciplinary project team that may include engineers, scientists, designers, technicians, and coordinators.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information to colleagues, management or sponsors.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Expert-level knowledge of highly advanced concepts related to engineering hardware design, fabrication, or testing processes and the ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Substantial experience and demonstrated track record of success developing and implementing creative solutions to a diverse range of highly complex, multi-disciplinary problems and leading corrective actions where necessary.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple parallel tasks, often requiring the resolution of conflicting work requirements and prioritization of tasks toward predetermined long-range targets.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering, System Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completion of credentialed System Engineering programs, such as the MIT System Design and Management program, the Georgetown and Stevens Institute of Technology Systems Engineering Management program.
- Knowledge of DoD Architectural Framework and Acquisition Process best practices as well as Knowledge and/or familiarity with NASA Systems Engineering Handbook.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.